Golf on the Back 9 of Their Season

Via gonyuathletics.com

Junior Eric Tarakjian was one of the low scorers over the weekend.

Michael Thompson, Sports Editor

One season came to an end, while one has just a bit more gas left in the tank. NYU’s golf teams resumed Liberty League Championship action this weekend, completing the final two rounds of the cross-season tournament. The women’s team raced to the finish line and finished first in Massachusetts for their second straight league championship, while the men finished in a tie for fifth.

The ladies were stellar, finishing with a cumulative score of 644, 15 shots better than second-place St. Lawrence University. The Violets were bunched at the top of the leaderboard, with no player from the team finishing lower than a tie for 10th. Freshman Jennifer Bluetling established herself as a force as she led the Violets’ charge with a first place two-day total of 155, one stroke better than her closest competitor. Her Saturday +3 75 set the tone, and though she scored higher on Sunday, it was good enough for the weekend’s lowest score. Meanwhile, freshman Catherina Li recovered from an 86 on Saturday to shoot a 77 on Sunday, good enough for a 163 and a tie for fifth place. Sophomores Kristin Lee and Alyssa Poentis joined Li in the tie. Both ladies played similarly with first day scores of 80 and 81 and Sunday scores of 83 and 82, respectively. Li was exhilarated to see her teammate win the overall tournament.

“We’re all so proud because it’s the first individual win anyone’s had this season and it couldn’t have came at a better time,” Li said.

With the win, the Violets qualified for the NCAA Division III Championships in Houston, Texas. The action begins on Tuesday, May 10. Li was exhilarated to see her teammate win the overall tournament.

“We’re all extremely honored to be able to go to Texas and will enter with our heads held high and our textbooks loaded up,” Li said.

A tie for fifth for the men effectively ended their season, but it was a memorable weekend for junior Eric Tarakjian. He had one of the finest rounds of his young career on Saturday, shooting a 74 to lead all players that day. He had a bit of a tough time on Sunday with an 84, but he still led all Violets in cumulative score over the course of the four rounds, finishing tied for 19th.

After starting strong in the fall in Potsdam, New York, freshman Qizhi Wong had a tougher time in Baldwinsville, shooting a 93 on Saturday before bouncing back the next day with an 82 — good enough for 22nd place. Freshman Lucas Oberholtzer finished two strokes behind Wong in 23rd, the third member of the Violets team to have played all four rounds.

Only one Violet will now move on with the season coming to an end. Senior Julius Oppenheimer has finished up his time as a Violet. Meanwhile, Derrek Drozdyk, Wong and Oberholtzer are slated to enter their second seasons as Violets next year, while Love and Tarakjian compete in their
senior years.

A version of this article appeared in the April 25 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].