‘70s Shoes Make a Comeback

Hannah Shulman

70s shoe trends are back and better than ever with a large variety of fashionable, trendy options.

Sophie Fay Shaw, Staff Writer

Dressing for spring is a task riddled with uncertainty and ambiguity – the sun is out, but the forecast says it’s only 32 degrees Fahrenheit? The cold consequences of an unforeseen wind chill could leave you wishing for boots instead of sandals. Thankfully, the top shoe trends — reminiscent of the ‘70s —  for spring are varied and versatile with a focus on comfort, so you don’t have to sacrifice style for the sake of the weather.

Mules

These simple yet sophisticated slide-on shoes dominated the spring runways. Gucci, 3.1 Phillip Lim and Alexander McQueen are just a few of the many brands to feature the style. Perhaps the best aspect of the trend is the variety of shapes, heights and styles mules can come in. From the romantic lace slippers of the Balenciaga runway to the pointed-toe Victorian stilettos from Givenchy, the backless shoes can work for any personality. The fur-lined Gucci “Princetown” mules have been especially popular among fashion bloggers like Bryanboy and Danielle Bernstein.

Clogs

Whether they’re slip-ons, sling-backs or even bootie style, clogs are guaranteed to add a touch of the ‘70s trend to your wardrobe. Birkenstocks and socks had their spotlight, but now the attention is turned to clogs and socks. The duo providing both warmth and style is ideal for the fluctuating spring weather. Plus, slide-on and sandal style clogs make great transition pieces from spring to summer.

Block Heels

The classic silhouette of block heel pumps is feminine yet substantial. They can hold up to a day’s worth of running around the city. Calf-height boots with a block heel go the retro route, while strappy sandals with a chunky heel find a balance between dainty and solid. Lace-up versions combine the fall trend with the block heel. Chloe, Miu Miu and and Valentino offer especially charming options that embrace the femininity of the style.

Flatforms

This high impact, high comfort shoes gets revamped for spring. The bold base is featured on sneakers, loafers, sandals and boots — basically any style imaginable. Sandal-wise, Stella McCartney’s strappy wooden flatforms follow the ‘70s vibe, while Alexander Wang’s chain-embellished flatforms embrace an aggressive edginess. Flatform loafers and grungy boots also offer a prime opportunity to show off some colorful socks when paired with cropped or cuffed pants.

Huarache

The traditional Mexican sandal is typically made of woven leather, but on the runway, huaraches appeared in various plaited styles with many embellishments, highlighting texture and color. Dolce and Gabbana’s vibrant version had everything short of bells and whistles, including tassels, pom-poms and gold medallions. Chloe opted for a less-is-more approach with a simple rainbow-hued weave of thin leather straps and a chunky white heel. These modern takes on a classic Mexican style are a simple way to include a bit of color to your spring wardrobe.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday April 11 print edition. Email Sophie Fay Shaw at [email protected].