New York Skyline Marred by Gentrification

Haven Williams, Contributing Writer

When my father and I toured different colleges last year, we surmised that each major city in the United States could be boiled down to a single word. For Washington DC, it was “stately,” for Los Angeles, it was “hype” and Chicago was “work.” New York could be summed up as “attitude,” but my time in the city has taught me that the key word is actually “wealth.” In this city, the size of personality is dwarfed in importance to the size of one’s wallet.

After decades of relentlessly revitalizing neighborhoods and cracking down on crime, New York City has attracted a new demographic in recent years: the wealthy. This takeover is furthered everyday with the rapid ascension of luxury skyscrapers in Midtown and the dwindling of historic neighborhoods. Chinatown, which over decades swallowed Little Italy, is now itself suffering the effects of gentrification

These luxury skyscrapers, which promise to raise the price of New York real estate even higher, will only degrade the culture of the city. One building in particular, 432 Park Ave., located in Midtown, exemplifies this trend. This bare, unattractive superstructure is usually empty, a capital investment for its distant patrons. As if the construction of hollowed eyesores for the mega-wealthy isn’t enough, current New York legislation allows some luxury high-rises, like the Midtown One57, to receive massive tax breaks of up to 95 percent. These are not apartments, but assets controlled by a class capitalizing on the soaring price of real estate in the city. They offer little value, as community hallmarks or tax-generators to the vast majority of New Yorkers. Instead, they are used to sequester money from the average person, offering only an outrageous price tag to gauge the market and an ugly exterior to mar the skyline.

In the 1988 documentary “The Power of Myth,” Joseph Campbell claimed the tallest building is the greatest indicator of a city’s goal. For decades in NYC, the Empire State Building broadcasted American idealism and ingenuity, and its successor, the original World Trade Center, largely upheld those beliefs. But now, for all the grandiosity of the new World Trade Center complex, it too has been passed by the growing avarice of New York. At 1,396 feet tall, 432 Park Avenue is 10 feet taller than one WTC, and it is no anomaly. At least four more residential towers over 900 feet will be opened within the decade. We now live in a city where wealth has eclipsed the value of work. In times like this, New Yorkers must realize that their present complacency towards wealth is undermining the city’s legacy. The rise of America’s wealthiest past the height of the WTC should only encourage Americans to dream bigger and set their sights higher: to take back New York.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 4 print edition. Email Haven Williams at [email protected].