New York Should Host Democratic Debate

WSN Editorial Board

On Tuesday, Hillary Clinton’s top campaign strategist rebuffed Bernie Sanders’ call for a New York debate by stating that Sanders did not get to decide when the two would debate and that the senator would need to change his tone for any further discussion to continue. Battling back the barrage of criticism that followed, a Clinton aide soon confirmed the candidate’s willingness to debate that same day. A New York debate between the Democratic nominees is needed — not as a political gift to either candidate, but to give a voice to New Yorkers.

Though sometimes mocked as mindless entertainment, evidence shows that presidential debates still inform public perception, and a poor performance can leave candidates devastated.  Debates matter, and their settings matter too. The debate in Flint, Michigan, turned a spotlight on local issues in the city and the state, allowing citizens to air grievances and voice concerns directly to candidates. New Yorkers, and particularly college students, also deserve a say. Both Clinton and Sanders have offered firm promises to make higher education more affordable, and with a sea of universities teeming with increasingly beleaguered students, New York would serve as an excellent arena for the candidates to battle out solutions to a national problem.

The important role New York serves in the presidential campaign cannot be overstated. The Empire State is a media capital, and the promises and challenges aired here will be amplified well beyond state lines, giving candidates a truly national stage upon which to espouse their platform.  And with 247 delegates — second only to California — New York is particularly pivotal to the Democratic race. A decisive win here can solidify Clinton’s lead or shatter it with a resounding upset. The debate in Flint may have swayed the momentum on what was thought to be a definite win for Clinton in Michigan into a stunning victory for Sanders. The debate in New York presents both candidates an even greater opportunity to make their case for leading the nation, a potential watershed moment in waiting.
Beyond the issues, beyond the media glitz and delegate math, New York has shaped and been shaped by both candidates. For Sanders, a return to New York is a return to his early and formative years in Brooklyn; for Clinton, the former senator, the state is the birthplace of her independent political career beyond the office of First Lady. Even their main opponent from the GOP has his name emblazoned on buildings overlooking the streets of Manhattan. It is in the grand tradition of the United States for its destiny to be influenced by its history, and it is only fair that the candidates vying for the country’s future should give their past a say.

Email the Editorial Board at [email protected].