Weekend: Take a Break From Midterms, Please

On March 4, Metrograph, a new independent theatre showing classic films, will be opening.

Even though it’s midterm season and you should probably be studying, it’s always good to get out for some fresh air and some entertainment for at least part of your weekend. Here are some activities to do around New York City over the weekend.

Metrograph

Metrograph is New York City’s newest independent film theater. Opening this Friday Metrograph is the next classic film destination. The first two films that the theater will screen  are “The Purple Rose of Cairo” and “Taxi Driver.” Located on Ludlow Street on the Lower East Side, Metrograph’s goal is to provide patrons with a vintage, movie-going experiences straight out of the 1920s. Be sure to stop by the theater this weekend for the first two features, with each show at $15 for general admission.

The Museum of the American Gangster

Located in a historic speakeasy on St. Mark’s Place, the Museum of the American Gangster is a must for historians or mobster fans. The museum exhibits the stories of many famous, and not so famous, gangsters from the United States. For just a $12 student ticket fee, the Museum of the American Gangster lets you experience one of the most complex and violent periods.periods of the United States’ past.

Jacob A. Riis: Revealing New York’s Other Half

Before the gallery closes at the end of this month, head on over to the Museum of the City of New York to check out the exhibition of photographs taken by news reporter and social reformer Jacob Riis. The exhibition focuses on Riis’ photographs of Manhattan’s lower class at the turn of the 20th  century. Don’t forget to check out the rest of the museum which includes a visual history of New York City.  The museum and its exhibitions are free for patrons under the age of 20, and with an NYU ID.

Dressing Room: Archiving Fashion

Have you ever wanted to see how an exhibition is put together? In another section of Museum of the City of New York, you have the opportunity to see museum staff photograph and work to archive a collection of mid-twentieth century fashion pieces. You can see the staff dress mannequins in fashionable ensembles from the 1940s to the 1960s that features everything from jumpsuits to evening gowns. The exhibit, along with the rest of the museum, is free with an NYU ID.

Jackson Pollock: A Collection Survey, 1934-1954

If you’re a fan artist Jackson Pollock, make sure that you head to MoMA while they revisit Jackson Pollock’s classic drip paintings. Tracking the evolution of his artwork, the exhibition features 50 of his works from a 20-year period of his life. The show will only be open for another month, and as always the MoMA is free for students with ID.

Email Mallori Albright at [email protected]