Track Hosts UAA Championships at 168th Street Armory

via gonyuathletics.com

Matthew Powers (c) and Budd Brown (l) each earned three medals on Sunday.

Rachel Ruecker, Deputy Sports Editor

The NYU men’s and women’s track teams hit the track at home this weekend as they hosted the University Athletic Association Championships at the Armory on 168th Street.

The first day of action included stellar showings from senior Matthew Powers and junior Budd Brown, who took first and second in the 200-meter with respective times of 21.75 and 21.88. They repeated those feats in the final, placing back-to-back once again.

The Violets also shined in the sprints as Powers emerged victorious in the 60-meter dash. Junior Caleb Su finished behind him just six-tenths of a second behind Powers’ time of 6.99 seconds. Both Powers and Su would go on to compete in the final race, where they finished first and second, respectively. Powers, who has finally had a consistent sprint coach in Erison Hurtault, was ecstatic with his finish in the UAA Championships.

“It’s been a long four years for me battling injuries and to finally put together a healthy UAAs felt incredible,” Powers said.

Other Violet standouts in the race included fellow qualifier sophomore Malcolm Montilus, who finished strong in fourth place. Brown also came first in the 400-meter qualification, clocking in at 49.39. On day two, Brown came second, while Montilus repeated his fourth place showing from the previous day. Meanwhile in the long distance races, junior Jorge Maldonado shined as he ran into second place in the 5000-meter, clocking in at 14:51.98.

Another highlight during the weekend was the men’s win in the 4×400-meter relay, comprising of Powers, Montilus, Brown and junior Curtis Mann. The Violets finished the first day in fifth place, moving up to third on Sunday with 75.5 points.

The women finished sixth in a field of seven, just ahead of Brandeis University. They succeeded in the 60-meter dash, with senior captain Kristina Harris making the finals cut, coming in seventh with a time just shy of eight seconds. Freshman Alyssa Jean, who also competed in the 60-meter, came in tenth in the 200-meter with a time of 26.35.

Freshman Justina Sanders Schifano added to the Violet’s success finishing ninth place with a time of 59 seconds in the 400-meter. Senior Drew Washington and freshman Danielle Murray also competed, coming in 14th and 15th, respectively.

Junior Simon Cooper placed third in the triple jump, with a personal-best distance of 10.82m. Jean and senior Danielle Medellin also competed in the triple jump competition, coming in 14th and 16th, respectively. In the mile race, sophomore Emily Dethlefs and senior Becky Turlip came in fifth and sixth to aid the team’s placement.

The teams will both compete next weekend in the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships at the Ocean Breeze Track Facility on Staten Island.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Feb. 29 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].