‘American Psycho’ Kills Broadway With Sexual Flare

American Psycho is coming to Broadway on March 24 at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre.

Laura Casado, Staff Writer

Mark your calendars for a night with Broadway’s sexy, murderous new musical, “American Psycho.” After a successful run in 2013 at London’s Almeida Theatre, the play, directed by Rupert Goold, is set to open on March 24 at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre.

The play, set in late 1980s Manhattan, follows the double life of Patrick Bateman as suave Wall Street investor by day and sadistic murderer by night. Bateman is played by Benjamin Walker, whose credits include the Broadway revival of “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” and the recent film “In the Heart of the Sea.”

The show, based off Bret Easton Ellis’ 1991 novel of the same name, features music and lyrics by Tony and Grammy award-winning Duncan Sheik.

At the media preview, Sheik discussed his music with WSN, which uniquely merges aspects of house, early techno, 80’s pop favorites and EDM.

“Electronic music has become the pop music of the day, and that hasn’t necessarily been reflected on a Broadway stage, yet,” Sheik said. “I felt like, given what the story is, where and when it’s set with this particular set of characters, it was important that the score reflect that stylistically.” 

Playing Bateman’s secretary Jean is Jennifer Damiano, who was last on Broadway in 2011 playing Mary Jane in “Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark.” Alice Ripley portrays the roles of both Bateman’s mother and Mrs. Wolfe.

Walker and the cast began the show with “Selling Out,” which takes place on the busy streets of 1980s New York City. The number was appropriately harried, with a suited cast walking briskly across the stage on two large turntables, carrying umbrellas, suitcases and brick-sized cell phones.

Drew Moerlein portrays Paul Owen, a worker at a rival company. He spoke enthusiastically about his role in the show.

“I’m sort of the golden boy, the knight in shining armor,” Morelein said. “And Paul Owen, just by being his confident, centered, gracious beautiful self, does enough to infuriate Bateman, so there’s not really any need to layer on the douchebaggery.”

Helene Yorke who plays Evelyn Williams led the female ensemble in the number “You Are What You Wear.” The girls embodied New York’s picture-perfect socialite scene, as they planned an elaborate birthday party menu to match their outfits. The piece was provocative and upbeat, with each actress adding their own flair to sexy choreography.

Yorke spoke about Evelyn’s character and the rehearsal process.

“She [Evelyn] follows the idea that you have a job and you have a certain boyfriend and regardless of whoever you’re with, she’s just trying to make that person lovable,” Yorke said. “I don’t think that there is anything like this show, this process has been very different in the sense that we’re all included in everything. I think the rules, the process for a typical Broadway musical, doesn’t really apply here.”

American Psycho will begin previews on March 24 at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre, 236 W. 45 St.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Feb. 29 print edition. Email Laura Casado at [email protected].