This Weekend: Kiss Winter Goodbye, Open Your Arms for Spring

Meetali Gupta

Getting hot chocolate is one of the many things you can do this weekend at the annual City Bakery hot chocolate festival.

Leigh Anderson, Contributing Writer

Before midterm season begins, give yourself a chance to indulge in the city’s finest foods, performances and events. This weekend’s events will give a final taste of winter as well as a first peek at spring.

American Human Beatbox Festival

74 E. Fourth Street

Friday and Saturday

$20 at the door, $15 in advance

Kick off the weekend by joining some of the country’s most talented beatbox artists. This Friday marks the beginning of the sixth annual American Human Beat Box Festival at La Mama Experimental Theater Club in the East Village. The event features groups such as Viobox, Beatbox House and Nu Voices, who combine elements of beatbox, rap, dance and music. The festival continues Saturday night with the Beatrhyme Slam, an event designed for artists who combine beatboxing with scatting, a form of improv which mimics jazz. Both nights begin at 10 p.m.

Hot Chocolate Festival

3 W. 18th St.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Prices vary per drink

City Bakery is currently in the midst of its annual Hot Chocolate festival. Every day of the month of February, the bakery introduces a new flavor. The festival ends on Monday, so don’t miss its final weekend. On Friday the 26th, the bakery will feature Bourbon hot chocolate, on Saturday they will serve a brand new flavor, Mt. Fuji with yuzu and lime, and the classic peanut butter hot chocolate will be offered this Sunday. Located just a short walk from Union Square, this unique $5 treat is well worth the trip!

Orchid Show: Orchidelirium

New York Botanical Garden, Bronx

Saturday and Sunday

$22 for students

Catch your first glimpse of spring by heading over to the New York Botanical Garden’s 14th annual Orchid Show, which opens Saturday, Feb. 27 and runs through April 17. Learn about the history of the orchid, enjoy musical performances and walk through a spectacular floral display. Located in the Bronx, the Garden can be reached via the B, D, or 4 trains to Bedford Park Blvd. Station, or the Metro-North Railroad to Botanical Garden Station. The exhibition is open from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.

NYC Feminist Zinefest

Barnard College, 3009 Broadway

Sunday

Free

Feminist zines were an integral part of the Riot Grrl scene of the nineties, and their collaborative, justice-seeking spirit is the focus of Barnard College’s annual Zinefest. Take a ride uptown to pick up some free zines and engage in a dialogue with other creative, equality-minded individuals. The free, trans-inclusive event will be held this Sunday from noon to 6 p.m.

Brunch Spots

Sweet Chick 178 Ludlow St. • 164 Bedford Ave.

Sullivan Bistro 169 Sullivan St.
Looking for a new brunch spot but not sure where to go? Sweet Chick, a popular brunch hotspot with locations in Williamsburg and the Lower East Side, is famous for its chicken and waffles dish ($16). Also on the menu are breakfast classics, including Eggs Benedict, Buttermilk Pancakes and Housemade Granola, all for under $12. If you’re looking for an option closer to campus, try Sullivan Bistro, a small restaurant with a homey atmosphere nestled between Bleecker and W. Houston St. For just $14, a scrumptious plateful of pancakes, eggs, home fries and bacon is yours, along with your choice of coffee or tea. Escape Palladium brunch this weekend and go savor that Sunday brunch you’ve been craving.

Additional reporting by Abigail Weinberg. Email Leigh Anderson at [email protected].