Spring Beauty Trends: Wine Stained Lips, Power Ponytails and More

The new year means resolutions in both beauty and style. (Photo by Tatiana Perez)

Tatiana Perez

Sophie Fay Shaw, Staff Writer

This spring, expect to see revamped versions of classic beauty styles like the ponytail and the French manicure, as well as new substitutions when it comes to eyes, lips and cheeks. The great thing about this year’s spring beauty trends is that they can all be achieved with items already in any basic makeup kit. Looking back on the Spring/Summer 2016 runways, here are the best beauty trends to try in the upcoming months.

Wine Stained Lips

Dark berry, oxblood and wine lipsticks look so good that they are no longer solely designated for the fall and winter seasons. Anna Sui, Burberry and Emporio Armani are just a few of the spring collections that had the models sporting dark pouts. The update on wearing the moody colors is to not worry about the imperfections. Smudge them out for an ombre effect or layer with lipgloss for a lacquered effect. Either way, dark lips can be worn during the day or night?

Statement Liner

Anything goes for eyeliner this spring. On the runway, models wore their liner smudged, thick, thin, gothic, glittered, electric blue, winged, etc. This trend gives plenty of room to display personal style and creativity. If you are tired of trying to get your winged liner to be even, go back to the basics and line the upper and lower lashes with a kohl liner. A couple of the memorable moments from fashion week include the water-lined and tight-lined eyes from BCBG or Reem Acra, or the smudged liner extended to the inner corners of the eyes at Mugler.

Sun-kissed Cheeks

Do not stress about learning the complex art of contouring, because the fresh face for spring focuses on an overall golden glow. Instead of pink cheeks, substitute a warm bronzer for blush. This trend takes half the effort of contouring, and gives the impression of a healthy tan. Chloe, Michael Kors and Tommy Hilfiger embraced this trend for their spring/summer ready-to-wear runways.  

Refreshed French Manicure

The classic French manicure is getting an upgrade by favoring colorful tips to the classic white. Monique Lhuillier chose a kelly green for the accent color. At Cushnie et Ochs, the French manicure was done in a deep burgundy painted at an angle to the center of the tip of the nail for a geometric effect. This simple nail art is easy to do and adds an eye-catching detail to any look.

Power Ponytails

While the traditional ponytail is a reliable go-to hairstyle, different variations can pull an outfit together. For an everyday look, simply tie a coordinating or even a contrasting colored ribbon to your outfit around a low ponytail. It is a sweet detail that adds a finishing touch. For a night out, try a two-strand twisted ponytail like the ones on Public School’s runway. They are sleek and stylish, but not as conventional as a standard braided ponytail.

Email Sophie Fay Shaw at [email protected].