Here are the Seven Clubs You Need to Check Out This Semester

There are many interesting clubs you may have missed at NYU’s clubfest.

via twitter.com

Oliver Shenberg, Contributing Writer

If you weren’t able to attend the most recent Club Fest or if you’re looking for some more information on new clubs, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a rundown of some of the newest and most interesting clubs we saw at Club Fest this year.

Build-a-Robot Club

The Build-a-Robot Club, or BARC, is a club for those who may be interested in robotics, but have no experience. Started last semester, BARC is the perfect place for students who want to learn about robotics, programming or engineering in a low-key environment. If you’ve ever dreamed of having your own BB-8 robotic companion, BARC is the place to start. 

Economics Review

Wondering what to do with that toiled-over essay on aggregate demand? Try submitting it to the Economics Review. Since 2015, the Economics Review has been devoted to promoting rigorous discussion of economic theory and policy at NYU. This online publication is completely run by NYU students and they accept work from all members of the NYU community regardless of school or major.

First Timers Club @ NYU

So you probably made a New Year’s Resolution to work out more, and then failed to follow through. Instead of feeling down about yourself, join the First Timers Club (FTC). The group highlights offbeat fitness events with names like “Fiercefit Dance Cardio” and “Shack Track and Field”  going on around the city. FTC provides a supportive environment where students can participate and work out without feeling nervous about their “first time.”

Health Leads Club

Health Leads, a national non-profit, selects a group of NYU students to join the New York Health Leads team as volunteer advocates.  Though Spring applications have closed, those interested can apply as a Summer Fellow or for the Fall 2016 cycle. Volunteers work at Bellevue and Woodhull hospitals, helping patients learn about resources that can improve their health.

Irish Cultural Society

The Irish Cultural Society is an organization that celebrates the the history of Irish culture in the city. A major selling point for joining the club is that many of the club’s lectures, musical performances and other events are hosted in the Glucksman Ireland House (1 Washington Mews), one of the prettiest and most unusual building on campus.

Nepali Student Association at NYU

Combining both cultural appreciation and social activism, The Nepali Student Association educates members on the culture of Nepal and ways to help some of the country’s residents who are most in need. Past events have included a Nepali food expo and information sessions about study abroad opportunities in Nepal.

Share Meals Club

Share Meals has recently become an NYU All-Square Club, allowing them to expand their mission of “ending hunger and loneliness in college communities.” The club accepts meal swipes as donations and provide them to students who might otherwise not be able to make it through the semester with their meal plan.

For more details about how to get involved, check out all these clubs on Facebook or OrgSync.com.

A version of this story appeared in the Feb. 8 print edition. Email Oliver Shenberg at [email protected].