This Weekend: Chinese New Year, Star Wars and More

Lunar New Year is just around the corner, with some of the most exciting parades and festivities.

via wikipedia.org

Anna Caceres, Contributing Writer

As much as we are all trying to start the semester off on the right foot, don’t forget to go out there and catch a quick break this weekend. Here are some free and cheap options to get you out into the city without completely blowing your budget.

Winter Carnival at Bryant Park

40th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues

For the second time, Bryant Park will host their annual Winter Carnival at Bank of America Winter Village. Come out and get ready to embrace the frosty weather with a winter wonderland theme that features curling lessons, ice golf, musical performances, a silent disco and of course hot chocolate to warm up. The winter carnival will take place on Friday, Feb. 5 and Saturday, Feb., 6, starting at from 12 p.m. until 10 p.m.

Lunar New Year

Sara D. Roosevelt Park

East Houston Street to Canal Street (between Forsyth and Chrystie Sts.)

With the Lunar New Year coming up, be sure to take part in one of New York City’s most exciting and colorful parades and festivals. On Feb. 8  at Sara D. Roosevelt Park, enjoy a firecracker show, musical performances, dances and more from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.  If you have class on Monday, don’t despair. The larger new year’s parade will take place on Feb. 14, so mark you calendars.

Astro Noise at the Whitney Museum of American Art

99 Gansevoort St

The Whitney’s latest addition includes an interactive installation of footage from films made by Oscar winning director Laura Poitras. That includes her documentary “Citizenfour,” the winner of the 2015 Academy Award for Best Documentary, which focuses on the life of Edward Snowden. The show explores themes such as mass surveillance, war on terror, Guantanamo Bay and terror. The exhibit will last until May 1 and tickets are priced $18 for students so don’t forget to bring your student ID.  

Star Wars Exhibition

Discovery Times Square

226 W 44th St

This show, equally appropriate for Star Wars diehards and people who just really liked “The Force Awakens,” features 70 hand-crafted costumes that were in the first six blockbuster Star Wars films. The exhibit highlights the creative process involved in designing the costumes and how they relate to each of the characters. The exhibit is predicted to last only for a couple more months and tickets are currently being sold at $27 for adults.

Email Anna Caceres at [email protected]