[VIDEO] Making the perfect classic pumpkin pie
November 24, 2015
The holidays can be stressful, but making a perfect dessert doesn’t have to be. With just a few grocery store ingredients, our WSN original video shows you how to make a homemade pumpkin pie in less than an hour. Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at WSN, and may all your holidays be filled with pie.
Classic Pumpkin Pie
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2/3 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of condensed milk
- 3 eggs
Note: You can also use 1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice in place of the spices listed
1. Add pumpkin, sugar, spices and salt to a small pot. Cook over medium heat (watch out, it will splutter a bit) for 5 minutes, stirring with a spatula or wooden spoon.
2. Take the mixture off the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes. Then whisk in the milk and condensed milk, and lastly the eggs.
3. While making the filling, par-bake the pie crust according to package instructions. While the crust is still warm, pour the filling into the crust.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and cook for another 30 to 35 minutes. When the pie is done, the filling should should be set around the edges of the pie but still jiggly in the center, and a toothpick will come out clean.
5. Cool for 2 to 3 hours, then serve with whipped cream.
Email Kendall Levison at [email protected]