Remix Artist Collective tours with friends

André Allen Anjos of the Remix Artist Collective sat down with WSN to talk about his career and performances in New York.

Alexa Wong, Creative Director

Remix Artist Collective, better known as RAC, was created by André Allen Anjos as a project to give space for artists to collaborate and remix music. Since then, it has become Anjos’ solo project for indie-electronica style music and remixes. Recently, Anjos has been working on a monthly single series, instead of producing albums, beginning with “Back of the Car (ft. Nate Hendricks).” This weekend, Anjos will be playing in New York City at Webster Hall on Nov. 6 and the Warsaw on Nov. 7. WSN spoke with Anjos about his career as a musician and his upcoming concerts.

WSN: How did you get started as an artist?

Andre Anjos: There was never a grand vision. It was about the time where you start to think about the future. I was applying for internships, studios, record labels, but I couldn’t get anything. So I decided to take [the matter] in my own hands. I had this idea of creating a collective of remixes to work for labels. It never came into fruition [as a collective] in the way that I wanted. But when I started performing live, it made a lot more sense. I maintained the writing side of it, but the collaborative sense of it came in through live music.”

WSN: Recently, you started putting out new singles as a part of the series. Why did you decide to use this approach, versus making an album and releasing it as a whole?

AA: I put out an album in 2014. That album was written in 2011. When it came out, it didn’t feel very representative of where I was as a musician. I had an idea of this whole single series thing. The idea isn’t to focus on an album and just put out music. The timing is a drastic change. It makes me happy to work on something and put it out immediately.  I don’t know how it will work but it seems to be working. I feel really excited about this. I think about music a lot, what my motivations are and why I do this. When you do it for a living, you have to think about that and where you’re going or you’ll burn out. I want to be heard. I want people to listen to my music and the single series is a really good way to do that. It’s focused in the sense that it doesn’t take that long to check out so people are more willing. It won’t get lost in an album. It’s a way to focus in on something and say hey, this is what I want to say and this is what I want you to hear.

WSN: Does this style of song release change the concert experience?

AA: It’s so much more engaging and more fun for me. Even early on when I started touring as a DJ, it was two people. I can’t imagine people doing things and touring solo. The fact that I can bring my friends and my wife makes it so much better. We’re all good friends and it’s like we’re just hanging out. I think this sort of camaraderie comes through. People can see that we’re having fun and the feeling transfers.

WSN: Do you have any plans/thoughts about playing in New York at Webster Hall and the Warsaw?

AA: There’s a lot of people that live in New York, so we can perform the collaborations live. In New York and Los Angeles, sometimes we do things differently. I want to say that there’s no structure, but there is because the music syncs up with the lights and things like that. New York is especially fun because people are willing to come even if they don’t live there. It’s always the best part of the tour. We’re planning a lot of things with Big Data, filous and Pink Feathers. At the end of the shows, we normally do one song all together. That’s one nice thing about touring with friends. Everyone’s just down to do stuff like that. We leave a lot of stuff up to chance. Sometimes, it’s fun to surprise people.

RAC will be playing at Webster Hall on Thursday, Nov. 6 and the Warsaw on Friday, Nov. 7.

Email Alexa Wong at [email protected].