Hockey repeats early season success

After losing the past two matches, the NYU Ice Hockey team is back with a 4-2 win against MSU at their October 30 match.

File Photo by Shawn Paik

Rachel Ruecker, Staff Writer

Following back-to-back losses last weekend, the Violets looked to regain the success they found earlier in the season as they took on the Montclair State University Red Hawks
this weekend.

After a successful early power play kill by the Violets, as well as a close shorthanded attempt from MSU, NYU capitalized on a power play of their own when freshman forward Mason Gallegos scored at 7:11 on an assist from fellow freshman forward Keaton Baum.

MSU struggled in the first period, picking up a major penalty and a game misconduct that led to 4-on-4 play and a severe 13-6 shot differential in favor
of NYU.

The second frame began with NYU on the man advantage, and it did not take long for the Violets to capitalize, with Gallegos getting his second goal of the night just under a minute in. Assists came from freshman forward Hamilton Whyte and freshman defender Gabe Regan. Midway through the second junior forward Peter Jorgensen scored the Violets third unanswered goal, with help from two defenders in senior Curtis Fisher and freshman
Connor Finocchio.

NYU’s streak of penalty kills came to an untimely end as MSU scored while Fisher was benched for elbowing at 14:43, thus ending sophomore goaltender Alec Hardman’s bid for a shutout. The second period came to a close with a 3-1 NYU lead.

Throughout the game, Hardman made stellar saves, including a 2-0 breakaway by MSU early on in the third. Hardman’s efforts solidified strong all-around play by NYU.

After a few more exchanged penalties and successful penalty kills, NYU capitalized at even-strength when Baum scored NYU’s fourth of the night. Montclair made a bid for a comeback with a last ditch power play goal with 1:12 remaining, but time ran out before it was possible. Hardman, who was solid all night between the pipes, was pleased with the way the defenseman played in front of him.

“I thought the team played smart hockey and took advantage on our power plays,” Hardman said. “Our defensemen deserve a lot of credit for the win; they made it difficult for Montclair to get rebound opportunities, which I felt made the difference in our game.”

Gallegos was happy all aspects of the team came together to break the team’s losing streak.

“We played really well on both ends of the ice,” Gallegos said. “Our offense was getting lots of shots, and our defense was getting pucks up. Our goaltending was also great
last night.”

With the win, the Violets rekindled their early season flame, which they are looking to carry over into next weekend’s game back at home against Michigan State University at the Sky Rink in Chelsea Piers.

A version of this article appeared in the Nov. 2 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].