Soccer picks up another win at St. Joseph’s College-Long Island

Rachel Ruecker, Staff Writer

Following a big shutout win at home on Thursday against St. Joseph’s College-Long Island, the NYU women’s soccer team was home again Monday night, facing off against the Centenary College Cyclones.

The Violets were dominant throughout the Monday night match. However, in a match where junior goalkeeper Cassie Steinberg picked up another shutout, they only managed to put away one goal. The Violets outscored, outshot and all-around outplayed the Cyclones, who were lopsidedly outshot 34-2, with 14 of NYU’s shots being on goal.

Though the score did not fully reflect it, the girls continued to build on Thursday’s aggressive and skillful performance. Their lone goal came from sophomore forward Olivia Braender-Carr at 23:59. It was her first tally of the season. The goal was a cross attempt that bounced around out, in front and in. The scoring ended in the first half, but the strength of the Violets’ play did not. If it hadn’t been for Centenary Goalkeeper Hannah Walsh remaining sharp, the game may have been as lopsided as the shots on goal suggested, instead of just a 1-0 finish.

In all, the Violets played strongly, supporting Steinberg and each other all the way through 90 minutes in what was their last home game of the regular season. They now head into next week’s game with an 11-4 record.

The goal-scorer and game-winner, Braender-Carr knew how important this win was for the team’s confidence and their chances to return back to the NCAA tournament.

“It was good to get another win on our home field and in our last home game of the season before we head out on the road,” Braender-Carr said. “Our offense pressed hard and we were able to get a lot of shots on goal. For my goal, I’m glad I was able to capitalize in the first half because we’ve been struggling with finishing, but I’m really proud of the team working hard to maintain the shutout.”

Now the team must maintain their dominance heading into the end of the regular season, and moving on into the playoffs. With just three games remaining, all of which are University Athletic Association league contests, now is the most important stretch of season for the team. A loss against Centenary College, a team they outplayed and knew they could defeat, could have had a disastrous hangover effect for the rest of the season.

Both the women’s and men’s soccer teams will be back in action against the University of Rochester in Rochester, New York this Friday.

Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].