Soccer shuts out weekend opponents

Evan Reifsnyder scored his first-career goal on Friday night.

via gonyuathletics.com

Brandon Herrera, Staff Writer

In what was the first across the board success for NYU soccer since the beginning of October, the men’s and women’s soccer teams shut out their opponents over the weekend, securing two strong and much-needed victories.

The women’s soccer team picked up its 10th win of the season last Thursday beating St. Joseph’s College-Long Island 5-0 at Gaelic Park in the Bronx. The Violets took control of the game from the first whistle and never looked back, finishing the match with an overwhelming 27-1 advantage in total shots, 18 of which
were on goal.

NYU began its offensive barrage during the 25th minute when freshman forward Megan Carver received a throw-in from fellow teammate Maddy Clapping and shot a gem from 35 yards out for the first goal of the game; it was her fourth goal of the season. Sophomore forward Mckennah Spagnola added to the lead in the 44th minute after scoring a breakaway solo goal, notching her fourth as well.

The Violets took their momentum into the second half, scoring three more goals against the Golden Eagles. The scores came from sophomore forward Olivia Brendan-Carr in the 56th minute, junior midfielder Lexi Clarke in the 79th minute and freshman forward Nicole Malen in the 86th minute — the first of her collegiate career. Senior captain Melissa Menta said the momentum they’ve picked up on their way to these last two wins will be key going forward.

“I think our efforts really showed in the game last Thursday,” Menta said. “We were able to build a strong momentum and that made us almost untouchable against St. Joes. Now the test is how we can maintain that momentum throughout our remaining regular season games.”

The men’s team followed up this strong performance with one of their own, picking up their fifth victory of the season last Friday with a 4-0 shutout at Brooklyn College. The Violets, now with a 5-10 record, snapped a four-game losing streak as they cruised past the Bulldogs. Four different players scored, while junior goalkeeper Lucas Doucette recorded six saves for his second shutout of the season. Freshman midfielder Richard Mitrano scored first, and junior midfielders Tristan Medios-Simon and Bryan Walsh, as well as freshman forward Evan Reifsnyder helped add to the lead with one goal each. It was Reifsnyder’s first collegiate goal. Mitrano said this win was important for a team whose standing bordered rock bottom.

“Overall each player contributed to a good team effort and it was nice to bounce back with a strong win,” Mitrano said.

The women’s soccer team will return to action for their final non-conference match of the regular season when they host Centenary College at home on Monday, Oct. 26, where kickoff is set for 7 p.m. As for the men’s team, they will hit the pitch once again on Friday, Oct. 30, for a University Athletic Association match against the University of Rochester.

A version of this article appeared in the Oct. 26 print edition. Email Brandon Herrera at [email protected].