Exposure | Halloween Dog Parade

Anna Letson, Photo Editor

• Animals dressed as other animals is a funny concept, but these two dogs seemed to capture it very well. A Brussels Griffon dressed as a lion makes for a fierce little dog. Ochi from the Instagram account @iloveloopy is costumed as a koala and looks quite cozy.

• Every year, people (and animals) take on the challenge of recreating cultural phenomena. Moon, the Spaniel Dachshund, took on the very popular Left Shark costume that became wildly popular in the aftermath of the Super Bowl. Scarlett, the Cairn Terrier, embodies “Netflix and Chill” and inarguably takes the prize for best costume this year.

• There’s something great about a dog in a dinosaur costume. Maybe it’s the fact that the dogs that wear them are usually the least intimidating, or that they hate keeping the hood on their head. Chloe the Puggle (Pug + Poodle) makes for a great T-Rex, complete with stubby arms. Hershey the Cockapoo avoids the dinosaur head-turned-hat with a full triceratops head.

• A classic Halloween dog costume tends to be food. These pooches took on the all American foods with charm. Coco the French Bulldog attracted a lot of attention as a little hamburger. Waffles the Golden Retriever took on the hotdog with a grin. Dressing up as the big cheese, Sadie the Frenchie looks quite stoic.

• These party animals bring color to the festivities at Tompkins Square. The Little Guy is a delicious Banana Split, down to the sprinkles. Oliver, the Parti-Yorkie is a piñata you wouldn’t dare to hit (he’s probably sweeter than candy, anyway).

• Humans often dress up as animals for Halloween, so why not turn your dog into a famous person? Stella the Bichon dresses up as Alexander Hamilton (including a $10 bill) with a costume that could compete with the costume designer from Hamilton the Musical. Melo the Pomeranian is a great Bob Marley, though the dreads are falling down his back. What really takes the cake is the Pup Mobile that drove Brandy the King Charles around.

• These two look pretty in pink this year. Jose the Golden Retriever is all love, covered in hearts. He’s also and walking and wagging advertising for the School for the Dogs. Chia the Chow made quite a statement in her pink tutu fit for a ballerina.

• You know when you see someone wearing the same thing as you? It’s usually embarrassing, but these pups became best friends after seeing they came in the same costume. Felton the Golden Retriever (who has an Instagram @feltonthepup) and Jack the Shih Tzu Yorkie both came to the parade as alligators.

• Already on his way to Internet fame, Leeroy the Chocolate Lab has been seen on the Dogist on Instagram (@thedogist). He made an appearance at the parade as a sunflower and was definitely a crowd pleaser. Just look at those eyes!

Every year, Tompkins Square Park hosts a Halloween parade fit for man’s best friend. On Saturday October 24th, dogs big and small, from all over the city congregated at the square to show off their best looks. An array of costumes, from classics like hotdogs and lions, to creative ensembles such as Alexander Hamilton and the Pope, this year’s parade was quite the spectacle.