Make most of fall break in NYC

Disha Gupta, Contributing Writer

Fall break is a sweet escape from the worries of classes so for those opting to stay in town this weekend, there is plenty to do and check out around the city to take advantage of this short yet sweet holiday.

Fall for Dance Festival
New York City Center, 131 W 55th St.
Take a trip to midtown to watch principal dancers from some of the world’s best known ballet companies perform at the New York City Center’s 12th annual “Fall for Dance” Festival for only $15. The festival finishes its month long run this weekend, so make sure to head out there either Friday or Saturday at 8 p.m. or Sunday at 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online.

Art in Odd Places
Along 14th Street from Avenue C to the Hudson River
For those that love visual and performance art, the 10th annual Art in Odd Places Festival is the perfect destination. Open only during Columbus Day Weekend, the festival presents art to pedestrians in unusual public spaces by focusing on expanding people’s boundaries of communication. Admission is free. Find more information about the works that will be showcased here.

The Annual Columbus Day Parade
Fifth Avenue from 44th to 72nd Streets
On Monday, Fifth Avenue will host the country’s largest celebration of Italian-American culture. The Annual Columbus Day Parade will feature a plethora of bands and floats featuring Italian civic groups, marching bands, government officials, and over 35,000 marchers. The event is free. Find more information about the parade here.

Roller Skating in Central Park
Central Park
If you enjoy roller skating, or if you’ve ever wanted to give it a try, head over to Central Park on Saturday and Sunday from 2:45 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. The Central Park Dance Skaters Association will be hosting a “skate circle” with live music. Although this is a free event, participants are asked to bring their own skates. Find more information about the event here.

Email Disha Gupta at [email protected]