Starbucks moves into Carlyle

Eugenia Efstathiou

Starbucks Coffee is opening a new store location next to Carlyle Residence Hall.

Monty Smith, Contributing Writer

Coffee lovers at Carlyle Court, rejoice: Starbucks will be opening a new store at 25 Union Square West on the NYU-owned property this week, replacing its location at 41 Union Square West. The new space was previously occupied by Toasties, a family owned and operated delicatessen.

According to The Real Deal, NYU acquired the property by signing a 10-year lease for $450 per square foot. Currently, it is not known if students will be able to use meal swipes and dining dollars to pay for purchases. The current location at 41 Union Square West, which will remain open until midnight on Sept. 24, does not accept NYU cards.

Gallatin junior Jeremy Eckl, who lives in Carlyle, said he usually looks for places that take dining dollars, and added that it would be disappointing if the new Starbucks didn’t accommodate students in such a way.

“I think that if they don’t allow for the use of dining dollars or at least campus cash, it would be a huge disappointment and inconvenience,” Eckl said. “A huge customer base would probably come from our building.”

The menu at this Starbucks will have hot and cold coffee as well as pastries with limited seating. The new location will also have a slow bar serving specialty coffees, giving baristas a chance to tell customers about the coffee and how they came to make it.

Steinhardt sophomore Ellen Marte said the new location concerned her, knowing what it was taking over.

“It bothers me concerning that it was originally a family owned delicatessen,” Marte said.

LS freshman Andy Zhong said the new location would not have much bearing on his choice of where he gets his coffee fix.

“I’m really neutral about it, I guess,” Zhong said. “If I pass by it and I feel I’m in the mood for coffee, I’ll drink it and it’ll just be another coffee shop to me.”

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Sept. 21 print edition. Email Monty Smith at [email protected].