Women’s volleyball off to rocky start

via gonyuathletics.com

Jackson set a career high with 14 kills.

Grace Halio, Deputy Features Editor

Just five games into the season, the NYU women’s volleyball team has posted a modest record of 2-3. After opening the season with a win at Hunter College on Wednesday, Sept. 2, the squad made the trip to the West Coast to compete in the 2015 Pacific Coast Classic, where they saw a variety and level of West Coast competition that they do not often see here.

During the season opener against crosstown rival Hunter, NYU took the lead by two and never looked back, going on to win the set without giving up the lead. The Violets led in nearly every statistical category, including aces, blocks, assists and digs, winning 3-2. Averaging 2.56 kills per set this season, sophomore outside hitter Alexis Jackson reached a career high of 14 kills. Both senior middle blocker Nicole Frias and freshman outside hitter Shelby King put away eight kills in the winning effort.

“We have a young team so it took a few sets to get a rhythm with the new players, but for the most part there was a lot of positive energy that everyone could feed off of and come together for a successful win,” Frias said.

After dispatching Hunter, the Violets played a tough four games in their stretch on the Pacific coast, winning just one of their four games in the tournament. They were able to defeat the Occidental College Tigers comfortably, winning 3-1 after dropping the second set. Sophomore libero Brooke Tannahill came in with 18 digs, while Frias supported with one assist and five blocks.

“We played against teams that make it to the West Coast division championship every year,” Frias said. “However, the one game we won was a great success. It was good practice for our upcoming tournament in New Paltz.”

Freshman outside hitter Annie Singh averaged 9.75 kills across the four games of the Pacific Coast Tournament. An intense preseason prepared Singh and her teammates for the coming season.

“My team really supported me and made me feel right at home, and we are slowly becoming a family,” Singh said. “The returners and coaches gave me a lot of positive feedback and they are a big reason why I made an impact so soon. I’m very excited about this season and I think we have a solid group of girls who are dedicated and want to win.”
Their difficult West Coast trip has prepared the Violets for their upcoming match at home on Wednesday against Montclair State University, and their more difficult games as the UAA schedule unfolds. With an abundance of young talent, they hope for continued contribution and leadership from their veteran core.

Email Grace Halio at [email protected].