Chinese Mei Society throws annual gala

Emily Liu

Christine Yoe playing her first song: 魚舟唱晚 Fishermen’s Song at Dusk.

Lingyi Hou, Staff Writer

As part of Asian Heritage Month, the Chinese Mei Society hosted its annual cultural gala, Yuan V15ION, at the Kimmel Center for University Life’s Eisner & Lubin Auditorium on April 24. Yuan V15ION gave the traditional Chinese festival a sleek modern twist by bringing together fashion, fine dining and performance.

Yuan has been Chinese Mei Society’s annual largest production since 1988, with all proceeds donated to the China Care Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to providing Chinese orphans with special needs through direct humanitarian service since 2000.

CAS junior Tony Lam, who is president of NYU China Care, prides the foundation on being part of the biggest provider of immediate care and medical care for Chinese orphans.

“China Care has saved 120,000 orphans and trained 12,300 caregivers,” Lam said. “Our goal is to save 1 million happy children, because that’s how many orphans in the real China that need our support. It is part of our obligation as a person in society to give back.”

Stern senior and president of Chinese Mei Society David Li said he is proud of the club’s partnership with China Care to celebrate Chinese culture for a humanitarian cause.

“Giving a little of love is probably part of every person’s destiny,” Li said. “We hope to carry on our tradition of service to the community and the world.”

Chinese Mei Society’s name originates from the Chinese word for “plum blossom,” and just as the plum blossom flowers during even the harshest winters, the society hopes it can shine at NYU while serving the niche of those interested in Chinese culture.

Chinese Mei Society’s hallmark event of the year boasted almost 200 participants, featuring a wide variety of programs that crossed instrumental performance, dance, fashion show and live music.

The show reached its climax when Synchronic Dance Team kicked off its high-energy hip hop dance. Performances also included the Madi Rindge Band.

Chinese food was served, with authentic Chinese delicacies including scallion pancake and fish in wine sauce available throughout the night. Groups of 10 were seated around each round table, just like a traditional Chinese family would be for their festival meal.

Steinhardt senior Helen Li, who attended the gala to see a friend’s show,  said the event was worthwhile and meaningful.

“The performances are awesome, so is the food. And their proceeds are all going to China Care,” Li said. “I am not only coming here to enjoy the performances, but also able to donate money to help those children in need.”

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, April 30 print edition. Email Lingyi Hou at [email protected].