Enjoy weather with rooftop dining

Sang Bae

On top of the high end Italian food market Eataly is Birreria, a restaurant that boasts the highest quality food and beer.

Vanessa Haughton, Contributing Writer

As spring arrives and New York City slowly thaws, NYU students can once again be found lounging in the park and enjoying the city. Spring is a great time to try some of New York City’s rooftop restaurants. For graduation celebrations, a meal with family or just an excuse to get out and see a spectacular view, rooftop dining is a uniquely New York way to spend an evening. Here are a few suggestions for students that want to make their meals truly
Instagram worthy.

Eataly’s Birreria:
200 Fifth Ave.

Most Italian food lovers already know about Eataly — the Italian marketplace across from Madison Square Park — and Birreria is the establishment’s rooftop restaurant. From underneath the glass enclosure, diners have a view of the Empire State Building and the park. Birreria has an extensive beer and wine menu, and the appetizers range from cheese plates to octopus dishes. Unfortunately, the menu has no pasta options and the entrees are expensive on a student budget. However, this option is close to campus, and the delicious food and incredible view merits
the splurge.

Pod 39 Rooftop:

145 E. 39th St.

Perched atop the modern Pod 39 Hotel is an open-air bar and restaurant. Guests can enjoy the views as they try the variety of cocktails. The real draw for college students, however, is the menu. Salvation Taco — located on the ground floor of the hotel — serves treats to the boozy crowd upstairs. The Rooftop just opened on April 6, and students should remember Pod 39 when planning their end-of-semester celebrations.

Haven Rooftop at Sanctuary Hotel New York:
132 W. 47th St.

Brunch is the one of the few reasons NYU students should venture to Times Square on a weekend, because the Haven Rooftop restaurant should not be missed. Warm weather will make this spot a perfect place to enjoy views of the city on a Sunday morning. The French-American restaurant serves a wide variety of entrees during dinner as well, including several signature dishes that unexpectedly mix in Cajun spices. Haven Rooftop also has salad options for vegetarians and vegans. 

MyMoon:
184 N. 10th St., Brooklyn

Located in an abandoned factory space, the multi-level patio restaurant has gained a reputation for its unique ambiance. The Williamsburg restaurant began as a traditional Turkish eatery in 2005, but has since transformed into a Spanish spot with attention-worthy tapas. Though tapas are traditionally small, customers can order several dishes and share with friends. MyMoon’s menu is surprisingly long, and ranges from $7 spinach croquettes to pan-seared duck magret for $18. A taste of these dishes is worth a trip on the L train.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Mar. 14th print edition. Email Vanessa at [email protected].