This Weekend: April 10-12

Gabby Brooks, Contributing Writer

As the weather warms up, more and more outdoor activities are returning. Spring also means April showers, however, and with rain predicted for the weekend you should put on your favorite rainboots and celebrate the warmer days by checking out the events below.

Smorgasburg

Smorgasburg, deemed “the Woodstock of eating” by the New York Times, is back for its second week of the year. The event hosts over 75 vendors, selling everything from ramen burgers to beet ketchup. Grab a quick coffee and a doughnut from Dough or stay a few hours to enjoy a great view of the skyline. On Saturdays, Smorgasburg is held on the Williamsburg waterfront and on Sundays at Brooklyn Bridge’s Pier 5.

Food Book Fair

Celebrating its fourth year, the Food Book Fair is a three-day festival that brings together more than 50 acclaimed authors, chefs, restaurateurs, and more to celebrate the intersection of food and writing. The festival will feature stimulating discussions, including “Food in Visual Culture”; a history of cookbooks; and a debate about labeling food products. Tickets are being sold by the day or for the entire weekend, and the cost will cover events as well as food. The festival will be held at the Wythe Hotel in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

NYC Comedy Week

NYC Comedy Week lasts from April 6 to 19 and offers 2-for-1 tickets. Take a friend along and catch one or more of the dozens of shows throughout the week. On Sunday night, the Gotham All-Stars in Chelsea will showcase comedians from The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, Comedy Central and more. Tickets are just $15 for two people.

How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

Watch the two groups Student Musical Educators of NYU and A Class Act put on the Broadway hit musical “How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.” The musical follows the ambitious J. Pierrepont Finch who climbs the corporate ladder from being a window washer to a chairman of the board by following the titular advice of not really trying. Tickets are sold out for every showing, but 70 free tickets are being offered to see the dress rehearsal Friday on a first come, first served basis at the Black Box Theatre.

Take Two Film Festival

The fourth annual Take Two Film Festival will be held from April 10 to 12 at the Anthology Film Archives in East Village. The festival is showcasing more than 25 films from local and international indie filmmakers. Student tickets are $10 per showing.

Email Gabby Brooks at [email protected].