IRHC Town Hall addresses housing

Hannah Shulman

Josh Bender asks a question to the panel at the Inter-Residence Hall Council’s Town Hall on Tuesday.

Ned Harrell, Contributing Writer

The Inter-Residence Hall Council addressed students’ concerns regarding housing priority, transportation and other elements of campus living in a meeting open to students on Tuesday.

The panel included administrators involved in student affairs, housing services, public safety, information technology, dining, transportation and resident advising, all of whom fielded questions from the organizers and attendees.

Vice President of Global Student Affairs Marc Wais answered questions regarding contingency plans for events normally held in the to-be-redeveloped Coles Sports Center. NYU plans to relocate such events to nearby venues until the new sports facility is complete.

Senior Director of Residential Life Kate Baier mainly addressed concerns related to prioritization in housing assignments. Asked about the feasibility of basing prioritization on GPA, Baier responded that the operation would be too difficult.

“The logistics of that would be kind of burdensome, to match GPAs within a system that serves 12,000 students,” Baier said. “It’s an interesting proposal, but not one we’re considering.”

On the issue of public safety, Assistant Vice President of Campus Security James Pisaniello defended the policy that has students sign out visitors each time they leave their dorm, noting that while some visitors are friends or family, many are not.

“The policy is really put in place as a safety issue for students,” Pisaniello said. “Sometimes you think you know somebody and it winds up you really don’t.”

Director of Dining Services Ann Marie Powell took questions on inaccuracies in dining descriptions; vegan and vegetarian dining options; and the potential for expanding the Dining Dollar system. When a student related an anecdote about dining workers mixing recycling and normal trash, Powell affirmed that such actions contravened the NYU Dining Services’ sustainability policy, emphasizing that NYU is trying to move toward zero waste.

Director of Academic Technology Services Peggy McCready conveyed new information about the installation of printers in the dorms. McCready said six dorms now have printers, with further plans to bring printers to every dorm.

Transportation Manager Gregory Rivas responded to questions regarding inconsistencies in the bus schedule and bus loading policy, as well as the possibility of an airport shuttle for students who travel frequently. In response to this last question, Rivas responded that NYU is seeking a relationship with SuperShuttle for discounted rides to JFK and LaGuardia airports.

CAS sophomore Murielle Hsieh said the panel left some issues unresolved.

“The main ones were [discussed], though there are still small ones that weren’t addressed,” Hsieh said. “There are certain issues that can’t be solved. I wish they can, but I understand that they have limited resources.”

Event organizer Nate Faust, a Gallatin sophomore, praised the panelists’ candor and their eagerness to allay student concerns.

“They really are here to serve our best interests, they want to help,” Faust said. “They don’t have to come to this, and they really do like hearing from students.”

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, April 8 print edition. Email Ned Harrell at [email protected].