Crime Log: Feb. 20-27

Zoe Thompson, Contributing Writer

NYU’s Department of Public Safety received 11 reports of criminal activity in the past week: five incidents of larceny, two incidents of criminal mischief, two burglaries and one report each of menacing and harassment.

Larceny

At 8:30 p.m. on Feb. 19, a student reported his iPad missing after leaving his backpack unattended in a lounge in Tisch Hall. The student declined to file a police report.

At 9 a.m. on Feb. 20, a student reported the laptop she had left unattended under her desk in the Silver Center at 9 a.m. was missing when she returned to her cubicle at 2 p.m. A police report was filed with the NYPD following the incident.

At 12:19 p.m. on Feb. 20, a staff member reported that he left a camera case unsecured outside his office in Rogers Hall at 5 p.m. on Feb. 13 and discovered two cameras and a speed flash missing from his case when checked at 10 a.m. on Feb. 19.

At 12:30 p.m. on Feb. 20, a faculty member reported that she left her coat hung up in a Dental Center lounge at 12:30 p.m. and discovered it missing when she returned at 6:30 p.m. The faculty member declined to file a police report

At 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 20, a student reported she left money inside her wallet at 2 a.m. on Feb. 12. and discovered it was missing when she woke up the next day.

Criminal Mischief

At 12:25 a.m. on Feb. 25, a Resident Assistant on duty at Palladium Residence Hall noted graffiti on a stairwell wall.

At 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 26, a contractor’s van parked outside the parking lot in the rear of Rogers Hall had its windshield smashed. An initial investigation revealed that the windshield broke when an unidentified individual jumped into it. The contractor declined to file a police report.

Attempted Burglary

On Feb. 23 at 10:38 a.m., a staff member reported an unidentified male looking through her cabinets. When approached, he fled the area. The staff member said nothing was missing from her office and declined to file a report with the NYPD.

Burglary

On Feb. 25 at 10:30 a.m., a staff member said he noticed the glass door to an office in Rogers Hall had been shattered. The staff member also reported an empty tool bag missing from the same room. NYPD was notified and the staff member filed a police report.

Menacing

On Feb. 25 at 10:14 a.m., a student reported that her roommate threatened another student in her presence with a knife on Dec. 11, 2014. The student declined to involve the NYPD.

Harassment

On Feb. 26, a staff member reported a faculty member accused him of theft and threatened him on Feb. 26 at 4:30 p.m. NYPD was notified and the staff member filed a police report.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Mar. 2 print edition. Email Zoe Thompson at [email protected].