Basketball teams salute seniors

Michael Thompson, Contributing Writer

NYU men’s and women’s basketball celebrated their soon-to-be graduates with victories at senior day on Saturday. The seniors, Iyoha Agho, Conor Smith, Melissa Peng, Ana Lexi Bove-Domenech, were honored with a ceremony before each game.

The men’s team, on the brink of NCAA Tournament play, convincingly defeated Brandeis University with a 90-75 win.

The Violets built their lead in the first half and never relinquished it. They shot over 50 percent from the field and outrebounded Brandeis by a dominant margin of 48 to 26.

Junior Hakeem Harris continued his stellar play, leading the team in scoring with 25 points, 15 of which came from three-point range. He finished the regular season with an average of 18.6 points per game.

Junior Evan Kupferberg led the way down low with a double-double, racking up a team-high 17 rebounds in addition to his 16 points. Running the offense up top was freshman guard Ross Udine. Udine was a floor general against Brandeis, with a career-best 13 assists.

On the women’s team, Peng and Bove-Domenech were honored pre-game en route to a 71 to 62 win over Brandeis University. Bove-Domenech, who made her first career start, played seven minutes, totaling two points, two assists and two rebounds. Peng finished with a career best 17 points, including a three-point buzzer-beater to close out the first half and tie the score at 36.

The Violets played much better in the second half, outscoring Brandeis by nine points in the final 20 minutes to seal their 21st victory of the year.

Although senior day emotionally wraped up the regular season, there is still basketball to be played. The Violets, ranked as one of the nation’s top 25 teams in several different polls, are a virtual lock for an NCAA Tournament bid.

The men, on the other hand, are on the bubble. With impressive wins on their record — including their two wins against Emory University — they have a case to make, but several disappointing setbacks jeopardize their chances. The Violets will either find themselves in the NCAA Tournament or the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships.

Both teams will learn their tournament standings later today. The NCAA selection show for men’s basketball airs at 12:30 p.m. and the women’s selection show airs at 2:30 p.m.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 2 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].