Weekend Wrap-Up: Feb. 20-22

via gonyuathletics.com

The fencing team is looking forward to the upcoming season.

Stanley Wu, Contributing Writer

Men’s Basketball

On Friday, NYU dropped a conference game at Washington University in St. Louis, losing 97-75. Junior guard Hakeem Harris played tenaciously, raking in 30 points, while junior forward Evan Kupferberg racked up 12 points and two steals. Although the Violets matched the Bears in inside scoring and rebounds, WashU made more plays in the end.

NYU lost 77-60 to the University of Chicago on Sunday. Despite efforts by Harris, Kupferberg and junior guard Ross Udine, the Violets were unable to overcome the Maroon defense. Kupferberg pushed NYU forward, scoring 21 points and 10 rebounds. The Maroons maintained an upper hand on rebounds though, finishing the game with 38 to NYU’s 31. 

Women’s Basketball

NYU’s women’s basketball also lost to the WashU Bears Friday night, finishing with a score of 59-46. Sophomore guard Kaitlyn Read brought in 15 points and 11 rebounds, while junior forward Megan Dawe scored nine points and four rebounds. NYU racked up nine fouls in the first half, as the Bears maintained a resilient offense that led the game in rebounds and second-chance points.

The Violets lost again on Sunday by a final score of 66-55 to the University of Chicago, completing a tough weekend for the basketball teams. The Violets were plagued by a rough first half, being outscored 41-30. They played the Maroons evenly in the second half, but that was not enough to gain the win. NYU finished with 16 points from turnovers and 16 second-chance points.

Men’s Volleyball

The Violets ended their Thursday night game in a disappointing fashion, losing by a final score of 3 sets to none against Keane University. Outside hitters junior Nick Benson and sophomore Chase Klein were bright spots in the loss, with their respective 14 and 10 kills. Sophomore setter Patrick Merrick played a strong game as well, ending with six digs and 27 assists. NYU pulled close on the scoreboard in the first and third sets, but was unable to maintain any consistency.

Saturday night brought better news, as NYU beat Wentworth Institute of Technology 3-2. After shaky first and third sets, the Violets righted the ship in the fifth, when Benson’s kill secured NYU’s win. Benson gave a superb performance, ending the game with 18 kills and six digs, while senior libero Andrew Quirk had 12 digs and three assists in addition to Merrick’s 45 assists.

The men’s volleyball team once again showed a knack for winning close games, as they took care of Emmanuel College on Sunday with a score of 3-2. Although their strong victory in the first set was followed by a few rocky sets, the Violets powered through to victory in the final two sets. The fifth set remained close until sophomore middle hitter Sean Leahy’s kill locked in a win for NYU.

Men’s Wrestling

In the last dual meet of the season, the NYU Grapplers won 42-10 against Daniel Webster College Saturday night. The Grapplers finished seven of nine bouts victorious. Sophomore Nick Matthews, senior John Guarino and junior Brian Anderson all started strong with first-period pins. The win brought NYU’s dual meet record to 21-3, an indication of the Grapplers’ competitive capabilities, growing experience and overall impressive performance heading into the end of their season.

A version of this article appeared in the Feb. 23 print edition. Email Joey Benitez at [email protected].