Son Jung Wan Fall/Winter 2015

Se Won Park, Contributing Writer

Vibrant colors of fuchsia, orange and teal lit up the runway of Son Jung Wan’s fall/winter 2015 collection presented at the Lincoln Center. Wan’s collection was created around the inspiration of “Modern Retro.” She was influenced by the romantic films made in the fifties under the photographer Gordon Park.

Her texture and bold color combinations create a retrospect of trends prevalent during that time. However, the silhouettes put a modern twist on the retro styles. Overall, the collection emphasized elements of romance and femininity.

Wan was very experimental and bold in combining statement colors with different fabrics and textures. Despite the colder months during the fall and winter months, Wan’s collection will make it easier to brighten up your wardrobe. Wan’s color choices were not the only bold thing about her collection. She combined textiles such as fur, leather and sequences for a glamorous yet elegant touch.

One piece that perfectly summed up Wan’s collection was an orange wool A-line coat with fur sleeves layered over a gold sequined sleeveless dress. This ensemble was paired with gold chunky platform boots: the quintessential combination of 1950’s contemporary style.

Another standout piece was a turquoise wool coat layered over the same colored wool skirt with knitted detail. It is the perfect ensemble to bring color into the fall and winter months. This look was also paired with 50’s inspired platform shoes.

Overall, Son Jung Wan’s collection was a breath of fresh air and gave the winter wardrobe a colorful splash of bold yet appropriate colors. Her nod to the 1950s era with modern silhouettes made the looks both wearable and chic.