Recap of sports over winter break

Bradley Alsop, Contributing Writer

The winter sports season is in swing, with a full slate of competitions occurring during the respite from academics.

The men’s basketball team has roared out to a 12-4 record overall through Jan. 25th, with a slightly more middling conference record of 2-2. On the 23rd, the Violets handily defeated Washington University 91-67. They continued their hot streak with a 85-68 drubbing over the University of Chicago, spearheaded by a 22-point effort from junior Evan Kupferberg. They will continue in the new semester with two more home games against University of Rochester and Emory University.

The women’s basketball team started the season off with a bang, boasting a 14-0 record. Nearly all their wins have been by double-digits, like their 34-point rout of Hunter College on Jan. 12. That trouncing was led by a solid 13-point outing from junior Megan Dawe. The Violets won their next three games before dropping a game, 73-87, to University of Chicago.

NYU wrestling has come out to a similarly hot start, sporting a 10-3 record with a stellar 5-0 run in away matches. Like in women’s basketball, the wrestling team has been destroying their opponents in wins but has suffered three close losses in early December and January to Hunter, Loras and Olivet colleges. Most recently the team posted a 34-15 victory over Plymouth State. In recognition of this stellar start, freshman Jacob Donato was named UAA Athlete of the Week on Jan. 19. Their last two competitions have been postponed due to weather but they are scheduled to resume competition on the 28th against Stevens Institute of Technology.

The winter track season is just getting underway, with two races under the team’s belt after the New York City Gotham Cup on Jan. 16 and the Metro Team Challenge on the 23rd. Sophomore Nick Karam placed 27th in the mile, posting a personal best time of 4:27.93. The women’s track team competed as well, with similar individual success in the mile — senior Alyssa Binczyk posted her personal record of 5:19.03, coming in 20th out of 94 competitors. Although other athletes placed relatively well throughout, this was not a team event and therefore only individual scorings were available. The two teams’ first out of state competition comes at the Boston University Terrier Invitational on Jan. 30 and 31.

The men’s swimming and diving team has marched out to a sterling 9-0 record, with astonishing takedowns of their opponents. The Violets posted a 202.5-91.5 destruction of Springfield College. Most recently they crushed Iona College 219-71. The women’s team boasts an identical 9-0 record, most recently defeating Iona College by a more modest 123 points, 207-84. The teams’ next significant action comes on Feb. 6 and 7 at the NYU Invitational. Most of these teams are off to scorching hot starts. Only time will tell if they can continue on this blistering pace.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 26 print edition. Email Bradley Alsop at [email protected].