Search committee, student government host listening session

Scott Mullen

Ted Magder, Jules O’Connor, Trevor Morrison and Heather Cannady, from left, address concerns during a student NYU listening session in the Eisner & Lubin Auditorium in the Kimmel Center for University Life on Thursday, Oct. 2.

Scott Mullen, Senior Editor

Members of the NYU community joined the University Committee on Student Life at its monthly meeting on the afternoon on Oct. 2 to participate in a listening session with members of the Presidential Search Committee.

The UCSL collaborated with the Presidential Search Committee to host another listening session to hear student thoughts on the way the committee should formulate its criteria for selecting the university’s 16th leader.

Steinhardt professor Ted Magder, NYU Law dean Trevor Morrison and board of trustees member Heather Cannady, joined CAS senior Jules O’Connor — chair of the Student Senators Council, member of the search committee and the UCSL — to hear from roughly 40 members of the UCSL, as well as about 15 students unaffiliated with the student government.

Many students expressed a desire for a president dedicated to cultivating  the university’s global mission and cultural diversity, maintaining a strong connection to New York City and increasing accessibility to the student body.

“I think it’s really important that the next president be someone who’s very relatable to the students, someone who people are proud of, someone who is easy to speak to and can crack a joke or two,” Stern senior and undergraduate senator Masha Leonov said.

Jessica Hawk, Vice chair of UCSL and Steinhardt senior said she is glad the session occurred, especially because it increased student participation in the university.

“I like the idea that it was by students for students, and that we took the initiative to set this up,” Hawk said. “I truly think students are being heard, whether it’s from these listening sessions or from Marella [Martin] and Jules, who I fully trust to, if the committee goes astray, bring the focus back to students.”

Email Scott Mullen at [email protected].