Trends incorporate unique materials

Felipe De La Hoz/WSN

From sequined lip prints to nylon windbreaker couture, Spring 2014 fashion collections brought a whirlwind of bold and eccentric materials. While these fabrics may seem impossible to pull off in an everyday wardrobe, it is actually easier than ever to sport some of this season’s styles.

DKNY displayed an interesting take on the parachute dress this season by using material that, fittingly, resembled a parachute. Clad in windbreaker-esque nylon looks, many of Donna Karan’s dresses fluttered down the runway, displaying the beautiful movement of her sportswear couture. Though sportswear couture is not easily found in stores, adding some nylon to your wardrobe can still be done in an affordable fashion. Windbreaker jackets are always available at American Apparel, with its unisex nylon taffeta version in 16 different colors ($21).

Gucci also paid homage to sportswear by using mesh in a number of looks. From a paneled detail on the shoulder to a full shirt, the use of the material was bold and perfect for carrying the sporty trend that will gain steam as the weather warms up. Forever 21 offers a variety of dresses and shirts in mesh, but the simplest and most effective are the crew neck mesh jersey ($13) and the daring mesh crop top ($10). Pair either with a bold, printed floral pant to really rock the look.

Givenchy made the return of rubber and vinyl evident in its accessories. The sport sandal presented by the designer comes in a transparent rubber material that nostalgically references the good old days of jelly shoes. American Apparel sells a few versions ranging from $24 to $45. Another way to bring this trend to clothing is to take a chance with the vinyl mini skirt, offered in four vibrant spring colors ($58). Pulling this off is best done with a vibrant floral shirt or a contrasting suede or fuzzy-textured top.

Sequins are finding their place back on the runway. Marc by Marc Jacobs and Yves Saint Laurent are to thank for this flashy return, which is sure to excite fashionistas. Sequins are one of the most difficult materials to pull off, as are all things shiny. Pairing ASOS’ sequin-striped Motel Ronnie Stripe Tee ($38) with a leather skirt and kitten heels is a surefire way to rock the look. Avoid matching tops and bottoms, as too many sequins could make a costume out of a street look. If full apparel is too edgy, try sequined clutches, hair bands and other accessories.

Spring will be a season for the statement maker, and incorporating some of these designer inspired materials into your wardrobe will add just the right touch.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, April 2 print edition. David Bologna is a staff writer. Email him at [email protected].