Ivan Aguilar Fall/Winter 2014

Click on image for more looks from Ivan Aguilar F/W 2014

Fast-paced beats and bright spotlights set the tone as Ivan Aguilar debuted his very first collection in a presentation of his Fall/Winter 2014 line at the Hudson Hotel Saturday evening.

In an interview before the show, Aguilar said that one of the main goals of this collection was to portray a highly feminine style, which was evident throughout the show.  When asked about a main theme, he referenced a popular inspiration behind his collection: Brazilian minerals.

Common details that appeared in the collection included oversized collars, puffy sleeves, tweed, soft beige patterns, bows and copious amounts of glitter.  Looks were characterized by either a cinched waist or a boxy, shapeless appearance.

Most of the models wore their hair pulled sharply back into ponytails, which accentuated the dramatic make up consisting of smoky cat eyes and long, dark lashes.  They wore neutral nail polish and black or brown high heels.  Subtle accessories, such as thin bangles, complemented the clothing.

A standout ensemble consisted of an all black dress that was cut off just before the knee.  The sleeves and the bottom of the dress were trimmed with black sequins. A large scoop neck atop the loosely fitted dress was satin, and a satin bow positioned directly under the model’s ponytail in the back completed the dress.

While the looks in the Ivan Aguilar Fall/Winter 2014 show weren’t necessarily original or risky in any way, they did present very high-class, yet dated, fashion to the audience.

Maggie O’Neill is a contributing writer. Email her at [email protected].