New York Comic Con 2013: ‘The Walking Dead’ cast joke around, hint character deaths

Laura Wolford for WSN

At New York Comic Con’s “The Walking Dead” season 4 panel on Saturday, a 10-year-old boy told Lauren Cohan (Maggie) how beautiful she was, and then asked the panel why her character needed Glenn in her life when she’s such a “badass.”

“Yeah, ease up man,” Steven Yeun (Glenn) shouted.

Yeun, who plays Cohan’s love interest on the show, stood up and started taking off his jacket while Andrew Lincoln (Rick) and Danai Gurira (Michonne) held him back.

“I’ll meet you in Lot C,” Yeun shouted as the crowd erupted into laughter.

Greg Nicotero, director and special effects makeup designer, promised “a really great walker” or zombie in the new season, affectionately referred to as “The Moss Walker” because it has become a part of the ground with moss and roots growing into and around its body. Nicotero explained he wanted to redirect the group’s concerns towards the fear of more and more gathering zombies.

“Our group is so adept at killing walkers that you really have to catch them unaware and off-guard,” Nicotero said.

As for the rest of the cast this season, writer Scott Gimple said he saw every character developing their own story arcs that will affect the other characters.

One fan asked if anyone on the show ever thought Carol would become a strong female character, especially after the passive woman she used to be. All were in agreement that Carol is phenomenal in season four, as she tries to prevent children from becoming victims of Walkers like her daughter Sophia.

Another cast member to look out for this season is Chandler Riggs (Carl). Lincoln praised his on-screen son’s performance while letting the audience in on some interesting information.

“Chandler is going to kick ass this season,” Lincoln said. “Wait for episode nine. There’s a spoiler. I don’t care.”

But Lincoln delivered the most exciting — but worst — news of the night when he teased the audience’s worst fears for the series.

“There’s an episode coming up that I read, and I won’t name the number, but I couldn’t speak for 10 minutes after reading the script,” Lincoln said. “I was so shell-shocked. I was so disturbed by this episode that I was trying to call everybody just because I needed to speak to a human voice.”

“We are going to get in so much trouble with this episode,” he added.

Writers, just remember — if Daryl dies, fans will riot. Or Rick. Or Carol. Or Glenn or Maggie. Perhaps it would just be best if nobody dies at all.

Laura Wolford is a staff writer. Email her at [email protected].