Way It Should Be Spring/Summer 2014

Click for more looks from Way It Should Be Spring/Summer 2014.

The Earth-loving fashionista who struggles to find chic yet sustainable clothing may find some relief in designer Hassan Pierre’s line, Way It Should Be. Pierre’s Spring/Summer 2014 collection was hit-or-miss; specific elements of each look were right on target while others seemed to lack an element of style.

“My main inspiration from the show comes from my travels, namely Paris and Miami,” Hassan said. “Paris has a certain chicness and Miami has a sexiness that I think gives a nice juxtaposition.”

The show took place in the gorgeous lower level of the Dimenna Center where classical music and the dark, reddish tinted lighting and dramatic classical music set the stage for an elegant event which did not necessarily reflect the tone of the clothing.

The first few looks of the collection were classic black and white pieces: a black pencil skirt and a white, ruffled blouse—perfect for a professional setting but nothing innovative.

“I was going for the starkness of the black and white and then again with red and pink,” he said.

An ankle length, silk pink skirt paired with a red silk top served as a new twist on an old classic while the black and white version of the look just came across as old.

What’s particularly notable about Hassan’s collection is not necessarily the designs themselves—it’s the material. Peace silk is made without killing the worm that creates the silk and much of Way It Should Be’s line features different uses for the material from an organza in ruffled blouses to silk jersey dresses. Being an environmentally friendly designer, Hassan is limited in the materials he can use, but he claims that makes him more creative.

“[Being an environmentally conscious designer] puts you in a box, so I think outside the box,” Hassan said.

The biggest asset Way It Should Be has is in the details of each piece. The floral print jacket and skirt are not particularly groundbreaking for spring until Hassan reveals that they are deadstock fabrics from Valentino circa 1983, adding a dimension of chic that was not apparent at first glance.

Though Way It Should Be is not particularly aesthetically innovative, it serves a different purpose that seems to be more in line with their mission: to be environmentally friendly and accessible. The clothing may not appeal to every audience, but it appeals to the demographic of young, professional, earth-loving women it seems to be seeking out.

Bailey Evans is a contributing writer. Email her at [email protected].