FRINGE: Top 10 spring/summer men’s wear essentials

Editor-at-large Maximilíano Durón recommends the top 10 men’s wear essentials for this spring and summer.

The Oxford Shirt
This thick cotton shirt is a menswear classic. Its simplicity is what makes any man wearing it stand apart from the crowd. From a traditional white or light blue to an eye-catching mint or faded black, an oxford, in short or long sleeve, is any man’s go-to, as it goes with anything and everything.

The Embroidered Short
With patterns having come back in full force in menswear in the past couple of seasons, a short embroidered with a pattern — from anchors to whales to cars to zebras — is a great way to stay stylish, with a simple white or black T-shirt on top for warm spring days.

The Classic Boat Shoe
Boat shoes are a man’s most important spring necessity. Sperry Top-Siders are a great trusty brand. With shorts or jeans, the sailor’s shoe of choice is perfect for a trip to the beach or a walk around the city. Be sure to wear it without socks.

Statement Blazer
A blazer in black or navy is a safe bet, though it is also a quick way to elevate your style from nice to cutting-edge. H&M is the best place to find affordable, well-fitting options, as it is fully stocked with blazers in a wide range of colors.

Dark Denim
Every guy needs a pair of durable jeans that look great. With this in mind, dark denim is the way to go because these jeans usually require fewer washes and are a little dressier than the typical blue denim.

The Brown Dress Shoe
It helps to have a selection of oxfords and loafers to switch up your style. But if you can get only one pair of dress shoes this spring, opt for something brown. Because it is not as traditional as a black dress shoe, this pair will get noticed more often. And don’t forget the matching brown belt for an extra pop.

The Patterned Shirt
Selecting the perfect pattern is pretty much up to personal taste — but be weary of the Hawaiian shirt. From the simple, striped shirt to the more adventurous Ikat or Navajo shirt, the pattern a guy wears can say a lot about his personality.

The Short-Sleeved Henley
The henley offers the comfort of a T-shirt with the added detailing of buttons just below the collar. This understated shirt helps you stay comfortable while still fashionable on breezy spring days. Try a simple heather gray or go for a slightly more adventurous colorblocked version.

Colored Cords
Corduroys are a great option to alternate your pants selection between jeans and chinos. Colored chinos have been in style recently — take a risk and apply the same thought process to purchasing colored cords. Versatile but still a little different, the best colors to pick are mustard or a darker green.

The Updated Varsity Jacket
Every guy needs something to stay warm in on cool spring and summer nights. Instead of leather jackets and windbreakers, try a varsity jacket. The simple structure and alternating patterns are a staple of American menswear. Try not to wear a varsity jacket with the large letter on the upper left but something a little different, like a pattern.

Maximilíano Durón is an editor-at-large. Email him at [email protected].