Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 05:56 pm est

Tisch graduates take lighter look at classics with Quirky Productions

Posted on February 21, 2014 | by Sharmeen Khan

via flickr.com

Despite the wide range of shows New York City has to offer, many theater productions can seem too predictable for the audience. Eleah Burman and Ilona Concetta, who graduated from the Tisch School of the Arts in 2013, exceed those expectations. Together they founded Quirky Productions, an atypical theater production company that delivers unique performances and transforms classic productions into contemporary productions.

“The environment is of a playful, youthful and passionate nature,” Concetta said.

Concetta and Burman, who often perform in the productions,  said their time at NYU influenced their concept of Quirky Productions.

“Quirky Productions came out of a desire to work more together and also to put ourselves out there as actors,” Burman said. “At Tisch, it was emphasized that we couldn’t just sit at home and wait for the phone to ring.”

Quirky Productions’ first production, a spin on Christopher Durang’s ’80s comedy “Beyond Therapy,” was performed at 440 Studios in early January.

“We changed the celebrity references to be more modernly relevant,” Concetta said about the production. “[We also] made the central blind dates about online dating and Internet anonymity. We strive to find the zeitgeist of today in the worlds of the plays.”

“Beyond Therapy” attendee and fellow ’13 Tisch graduate Mallory Stratton said she noticed the playful characteristic of the performance.

“What I loved most was how much fun the actors had playing their roles,” Stratton said. “Audiences can tell whether the actors are enjoying the performance, even if they can’t articulate how or why [because] there’s an entirely different energy in the room.”

The next project for Quirky Productions is a Brooklyn rave-themed production of William Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” which begins performances in July.

“The forest in Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ is regarded as a place of wildness, where impulses are followed blindly and the social constraints break down,” Burman explained. “The modern equivalent, we believe, would be akin to a Brooklyn warehouse rave, which is where that entire section will be set.”

The production team is planning on keeping the original folio text while exploring the modern relevance of seemingly inside Elizabethan jokes. They will also be performing outside, to continue the tradition of outdoor summer productions.

Taylor Kurpiel, Quirky Production’s marketing director, said she is excited the company is making the jump from a modern “Beyond Therapy” to the classic “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”

“It shows that the artists involved are not only versatile but willing to take risks and try out different styles,” said Kurpiel. “I will absolutely be checking out ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ this summer.”

Sharmeen Khan is a contributing writer. Email her at features@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next