Josie Natori Fall/Winter 2014

Click on image for more looks from Josie Natori F/W 2014.

This morning, in a venue on 37th St, Josie Natori’s Fall/Winter 2014 Ready-to-Wear collection hit the runway. Natori, a former lingerie designer, produced a serious hit.

“It’s inspired by rich Russian history,” Natori said, “but it’s still incredibly modern.”

The Russian history she spoke of was beautifully presented with the incorporation of furs and headscarves in the collection. More Russian inspiration appeared in the show’s use of furs in a series of coats, vests, scarves, and headscarves.

The show never veered from a color palate of black, gray, white, tan and red, yet managed to avoid feeling dull. Every piece was perfectly tailored, each with impeccable attention to detail and unbeatable styling. Models sported loose, braided up-dos and dark, almost-black lips. Accessories worn were large, beaded necklaces and over-the-knee boots that complemented many looks.

The only faltering moment of the show was the appearance of two questionable red headscarves that seemed to be more campy than chic. When presented in black, however, the headscarves were fitting for the fall season.

The venue and staging of the show only added to the beauty. The off-site show was set in the DiMenna Center for Classical Music, which made for incredible acoustics. Models walked a non-traditional catwalk, consisting of a lit square in the center of the space.

The coats were undoubtedly the highlight of the show. Perfectly tailored, and presented in a variety of textiles including fur, gray fabric, and red embroidered detailing, Natori’s incredibly chic coats made up nearly half of the looks. Structural and artistic without compromising warmth and wearability, Natori has designed the perfect outerwear for this fall.

If Josie Natori’s ready-to-wear show is any indication of the rest of this season, there is a lot to be excited for.

Addy Baird is a contributing writer. Email her at [email protected].