Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 01:00 pm est

Studies on signaling should not be overweighted

Posted on December 10, 2013 | by Marcelo Cicconet and Nickhil Sethi

Humans are one of the only species with an additional layer of consciousness and rationality above mere instincts that drive behavior. Precisely how much of this layer is real and how much is illusory is a subject of great debate among philosophers and neuroscientists. Nonetheless, we tend to think that our day-to-day relationships are largely a matter of conscious and rational decisions. We communicate to others only what we wish. There is the occasional Freudian slip, but we are otherwise largely in control.

But in recent years, a number of studies in psychology have shown that human communication is largely composed of what biologists call signaling. That is, if an organism wishes to communicate a trait not visible to others — immune system strength, for example — it can emit a signal, a different trait which is highly correlated with the real trait it wishes to express. The archetypal example is the peacock’s tail. Its intricate colors and size suggest a healthy animal. In humans, signals can take many forms, but are most often related to body or facial proportions.

Current research is highlighting that such signals are a reliable predictor of who we really are, oftentimes outperforming our conscious introspection. In his book “The Tell,” psychologist Matthew Hertenstein cites one particularly interesting experiment in which children are told a story about a sea voyage and then shown pictures of two politicians who ran in a parliamentary election. The children are then asked who they would prefer to captain their own ship. Their choice of captain correctly predicted 71 percent of parliamentary election outcomes.

The idea that human communication is as much about involuntary signals as it is about language has more or less always been suspected by behavioral scientists. But it is only in recent years, that controlled experiments and insights from biology have provided serious evidence for such a claim.

But these insights on human signaling come with a crucial caveat — with nearly every signal there is some background noise. This noise may represent disruption in growth or development, genetic defects, or maybe even personal choice. At least in the case of human signaling, this background noise can be considerable — sometimes as much as 60 percent of the variance.

There are two things to be aware of when reading these studies. First, they rely on a statistical trend, which doesn’t apply to all individuals. For instance, some people will not wrinkle their eyes when smiling and still be authentically happy. Second, these findings show that sometimes we are affected more by signalling than by personality. We therefore have the potential to incorrectly judge others — an obvious example here is the fact that a person’s displayed confidence has nothing to do, in principle, with the underlying honesty of the individual.

While these studies may provide insights into the nature of the human mind and communication, they are not to be taken so seriously that one lives their social life by them. In this case, as always, the goal of scientific inquiry is an explanation for the underlying laws of nature — not a guidebook for life.

Marcelo Cicconet is a staff columnist. Nickhil Sethi is a contributing columnist. Email them at opinion@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next