Friday, Apr 18, 2014 03:36 pm est

Old, tenured professors impair Core program

Posted on December 10, 2013 | by Raquel Woodruff

I still vividly remember my first day of classes at NYU four years ago. My first class was a physics lecture that fulfilled a science requirement. I sat down in a large raked lecture theater filled with hundreds of other students, curious to meet the professor who would be navigating the ominous course material for the next 15 weeks. I couldn’t believe what happened next. A professor just shy of 90 years descended down the aisle, managing six steps in six painful minutes.

He began to erase the formulas on the whiteboard left from a previous class. But the frail physics professor used such little force that no writing was removed. His eyesight was so poor that he failed to see the board still contained writing. He proceeded to draw over the previous scribble, creating illegible drivel much to the amusement and horror of the freshman-filled classroom. A girl in the front row called out several times, “We can’t read that.” We quickly learned the professor was partially deaf.

Over the course of my four years at NYU, I’ve encountered the same problem time and time again with the Core Curriculum program — a professor who is too old, but tenured. While tenure provides benefits and stability to hard-working educators, it also creates a costly and difficult hurdle for schools to remove underperforming teachers because of the lengthy legal process involved. It costs an average of $250,000 to fire a teacher in New York City.

A study at Northwestern University found that non-tenure track faculty are more effective teachers than tenured ones. This is not to say that all tenured professors are poor teachers. The problem is that tenured faculty are not required to retire because of their age. The median age of tenured faculty is approximately 55. And a Fidelity Investments survey found that “some 74 percent of professors aged 49 [to] 67 plan to delay retirement past age 65 or never retire at all.” Harvard magazine reported the average age of professors in the university’s Faculty of Arts and Sciences is 56, with 24 percent of those 65 years old or older. When you put a professor well past 65 in front of a hundred students to instruct a course as broad and material-heavy as a Core Curriculum class, the results are likely not going to be good.

The purpose of the Core is to provide a foundational, well-rounded academic experience to enrich and broaden a student’s overall intellectual outlook. Ideally, the Core Curriculum offers a canon of essential skills to students’ personal and professional development. However, these merits cannot be realized if teachers are too old to steer through a wide range of material with energy and clarity.

The strongest parts of my education at NYU have been shaped by the courses with engaging professors — all of which fall within my field of study or my minor. In these areas, NYU has opened many intellectual and professional doors for me. On the other hand, the Core Curriculum program, exceptions notwithstanding, has largely been unprofitable in my experience — many lacking organization and structure, and led by professors who, while certainly intelligent and knowledgeable of the material, are too old to teach.

I applaud the university for emphasizing a well-rounded education, but also ask that it reflect on the current state of professors in its Core Curriculum program. Keeping professors who are unable to educate detracts from a students’ academic discipline and is dishonest to NYU’s commitment to provide a balanced, quality education.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Dec. 10 print edition. Raquel Woodruff is opinion editor. Email her at rwoodruff@nyunews.com.

Comments

• ugh

vapid + self-centered ageism

• Ughhhh

Really? You guys ran this piece?

• Ughhhh

This is just offensive.

• WSN sucks

This is terrible…..

• lingliangz

There’s literally no argument presented in this article. It just says that “Professors are too old,” provide statistics for the fact that lots of them are over 65, and then makes the wide sweeping claim that old professors are for some reason unequipped to teach the core-curriculum, citing only one anecdotal example of a physics lecture of all things…

• Anonymous

She does have a point (but is a flaming bitch). But what else can you expect from NYU, a very much for-profit school filled with depressed, NYU-hating students? We have so many students that we can only be tested by computers using multiple choice (which many students cheat on and end up getting good grades, but don’t know ANYTHING). I think she was VERY offensive in making her point and needs to have something thrown at her for offending a sweet old man who is probably still teaching only because he loves his students and wants to die knowing he made a difference in their lives every year of his life. Less bitchy raquel and more sweet people in the opinion section please! (Like that Brittany girl).

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next