Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 11:48 am est

Humanities should not be undervalued

Posted on December 10, 2013 | by Christina Coleburn

An article published in the Dec. 2 edition of The International New York Times has rejuvenated discussions about the value of the humanities in the landscape of higher education. According to the piece, funding for humanities research in the United States has declined since 2009 and accounted for less than 0.5 percent of financing for science and engineering research developments in 2011.

These austere statistics are not the only indicators of the perceived inconsequence of the humanities. Proposed political interference suggests some elected officials find such studies unimportant. Earlier in March, the senator from Oklahoma, Tom Coburn, submitted an amendment to the Continuing Appropriations Act of 2013 that forbade the National Science Foundation from funding political science research unless the project promoted economic or national security interests. Last year, a task force assembled by Florida Gov.Rick Scott said students majoring in the social sciences and humanities should pay higher tuition than those concentrating in the STEM — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — fields.

Although corporations, governmental entities and news media have lauded the STEM fields as the future of the U.S. economy, students can also stand to benefit from an education founded on the humanities. Subjects like literature, history and philosophy can teach cultural insight, social intelligence, ethical reasoning and historical clarity. These skills involve both analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills that, frankly, cannot be taught from STEM training alone. This is not to suggest extensive scientific or mathematical training is inherently detrimental. On the contrary, receiving an education with a STEM background can be both academically and economically worthwhile. Adopting this notion simply maintains that the humanities should be respected for their intrinsic qualities rather than be subjected to systematic devaluation.

A governmental task force recommending a comparative literature major should pay higher tuition fees than a chemistry major — for attendance at the same university — speaks to the one-dimensional, and often patronizing, shift the narrative about the humanities has taken. Rather than sustaining this tone of condescension, the dialogue should shift to one of respect. Despite innate differences, proponents of STEM could learn a great deal from the lessons offered by the humanities. By studying these allegedly soft subjects, STEM students could integrate insight about the human experience to complement their hard disciplines.

While certain outlets have held that STEM fields are the future of the U.S. economy, they have failed to grasp a critical point. What America truly needs are talented, diligent and independent-thinking individuals who can find creative solutions in the 21st century. These students may originate from STEM fields, but others may easily be comparative literature majors. A humanities education has immense value in these respects, and it should be celebrated, not devalued.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Dec. 10 print edition. Christina Coleburn is a staff writer. Email her at opinion@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next