Friday, Aug 22, 2014 09:45 am est

Creative Writing Program students, poet share works

Posted on November 25, 2013 | by Bailey Evans

Denise Fabella/WSN

In the small, dark KGB Bar on East Fourth street, a crowd of about 50 people gathered to hear young writers share their works.

The reading, held Friday, Nov. 22, was the final event in the series called the Emerging Writers Reading Series, and featured the works of four students as well as that of poet Natalie Diaz. Diaz’s collection of poetry, “When My Brother Was An Aztec,” was released in 2012.

“The Emerging Writers Reading Series gives the graduate students of the Creative Writing Program an opportunity to publicly read their work at one of Downtown’s most beloved reading venues, KGB Bar,” said Joanna Yas, the Creative Writing Program’s Readings and Special Programs manager.

The purpose of the event is to create and integrate a community of upcoming writers in the Creative Writing Program with local writers in New York City. Previous guest speakers have included Victor LaVa-lle, Cathy Park Hong and Jesse Ball.

“Every reading also features an established author who is chosen by the student curators of the series, giving the students the chance to meet and share the podium with some of their favorite authors,” Yas said.

“It was terrific [to read with Diaz],” said Charif Shanahan, a masters of fine arts candidate in poetry, who read several of his poems at the event. “I love her book, and we’ve gotten to know each other through my work [as programs director at Poetry Society of America]. We’ve crossed paths before, and it was a total privilege to read with her.”

Shanahan took a while before deciding to participate in the Emerging Writers Series during his time at graduate school.

“The idea is for grad students to read with emerging writers, and when I entered the program, I needed more time before reading my poetry in a public venue,” Shanahan said. “I needed time to develop as a poet.”

Laura Pope, who is taking classes in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, said she has attended multiple readings.

“I have been to these events before and really enjoy them,” she said. “The first time I came, it was a group of all New York-based authors, including a man who wrote about being the son of immigrants. After hearing that, I decided I really liked that atmosphere and hearing the authors.”

The audience participates in each of the readings by offering affirmations and support to the readers. Oftentimes, when a line of poetry resonates with the audience, they snap their fingers instead of clapping.

“The real gain in the actual recitation of the poem is for the audience who might see a part of themselves in the work, and it might augment their experience,” Shanahan said. “For the writer, the gain is in networking and meeting up with other writers and people who might be interested in your work.”

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 25, 2013 print edition. Bailey Evans is a staff writer. Email her at features@nyunews.com

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next