On the Wire: Your biweekly NYU news update (July 23, 2013)Posted on July 23, 2013 | by WSN Staff
Welcome to the Washington Square News On the Wire. Twice a week, we’ll be forwarding you the best news and updates spotlighting our university. From comical conundrums to serious clips, our wire will try to bring you stories you haven’t yet heard or the news you need for a catch-up after that weeklong vacation.
If you found a story we should spotlight, make sure to email email@example.com or comment below.
Playing catch up:
- Under the table: In recent months, president John Sexton and the NYU administration have come under heavy scrutiny for over-compensating their top faculty with subsidized vacation homes and payment packages.
- The New York Post has the latest on this controversial, as their latest review of the University’s tax filings reveal loans exceeding 6 million dollars for Richard Revesz, the former dean of NYU Law from August 2012.
- Defending NYU: Last week, New York Observer op-ed defended the loans and funding as a necessary evil to attract top talent, pointing to the University’s steady rise in global rankings since John Sexton has been in office.
- Meanwhile, WSN opinion columnist Edward Radzivilovsky offers a counterpoint: the University’s use of compensation defies its core academic mission.
University news bite:
- Roaring for a resignation: NYU Faculty Against the Sexton Plan wrote an open letter asking for the resignation of NYU Board of Trustees chairman Martin Lipton, who has been University president for 14 years, according to the Huffington Post.
- Ranking up: NYU ranked at #19 in the latest Center for University Rankings international university ranking, ahead of Duke University (25), Northwestern University (28) and Brown University (77). NYU moved up 4 spots from last year’s ranking, when the university came in at 23.
- Funnies: Buzzfeed’s 30 signs that you went to NYU. Some of us here at WSN are guilty of number 17, but we won’t name names.
- Social superstar: Nick Jensen, founder of HashtagNYU, discussed the evolution of NYU’s social media and the #NYUProTips Tweetcast that HashtagNYU held on July 14 that provided advice for incoming freshmen.
- Across the river: NYU-Poly hopes to improve high school students’ knowledge of the STEM field with #STEMNow, a campaign to encourage people to talk about science, technology, engineering and math.
- High profile prof: The former Bank of England Chief is stepping down and crossing the Atlantic to teach at NYU Stern, starting this fall. Working in the economics department, Sir Mervyn King is known for his leadership during the 2008 financial crises.
- Living the Greek life: GeekRank gave NYU’s sorority Zeta Tau Alpha a third place among all university sorority groups. Check out how others fared.
In and of New York
- Zimmerman rally: See how New Yorkers reacted to the outcome of the George Zimmerman murder trial with their protest in Union Square in our photo gallery.
- NYC reppin’: Why do New Yorkers look down on West Coasters? Well, many reasons. Buzzfeed has a few.