Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 05:25 am est

“Before Midnight” adds layers to Richard Linklater’s already excellent series

Posted on May 23, 2013 | by Zack Grullon

via Facebook.com

“Before Midnight” is such a small film that it will probably be overlooked by the general public, especially as it competes with “The Hangover Part III.” Still, those who ignore “Midnight” would be missing out, as it accomplishes two rare feats in film history — to be a sequel that successfully advances character development and to close off a trilogy with three fantastic films. In other words, “Midnight” is the polar opposite of the “Hangover” series.

The first “Before” entry, “Before Sunrise,” tells the story of Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy) who met on a train and enjoyed a wonderful night of romance in Vienna before parting ways the next day because of life’s obligations. The second film, “Before Sunset,” occurs nine years later in Paris, where Jesse runs into Celine, and they spend the afternoon catching up with their lives.

In “Midnight,” Jesse and Celine are a couple with twin daughters who leave their Paris home to take a vacation in Greece. Both of them are struggling with their own issues — Jesse worries whether he is being a proper father to his son from his first marriage, while Celine questions whether she wants to take a job in the government. These seemingly unrelated problems converge and test Jesse and Celine’s relationship in a very honest and — at times — uncomfortable way.

The tone in “Midnight” is different from the previous films. “Before Sunrise” had a more fantastical romantic tone, which is reflected by the gullibility that many 20-somethings tend to have about love. Much of that tone spilled over into “Before Sunset,” but with “Midnight,” director Richard Linklater shows the difference that a couple would feel about love in their 40s, where there is no longer that sense of youthful romanticism.

That tone is why the sequel works so well. “ Midnight” is not just a carbon copy of the last two entries but a way to further explore the development of the two lead characters in different stages of their lives.

The film consists of long-extended dialogue sequences that feel fresh and honest. While in Greece, Jesse and Celine visit a group of friends and have a family-style meal consisting of about 20 minutes of the group talking about long-term relationships, the idea of true love and sexuality. That scene and another toward the end are the two that most demonstrate how well Linklater can direct actors and write engaging dialogue that at times can be incredibly funny or dramatic.

But keeping in the spirit of the other entries in the series, the majority of the dialogue is between Jesse and Celine. Their sequences take place in long, uninterrupted takes, showcasing the natural chemistry and talented performances of Hawke and Delpy. According to the credits at the end, Linklater shared screenwriting credit with Hawke and Delpy, so it is obvious how much freedom the director gave his lead actors to make them feel more connected with their characters.

The ending is a bit abrupt, and you feel as if five more minutes could have given more closure. But that pales in comparison to everything else in the film, which is absolutely astonishing. Those who have not seen “Before Sunrise” or “Before Sunset” should watch those films — not just to better understand the characters but because they are incredible works. And yet, “Before Midnight” might just be the best of the series, and that says a lot.

Zack Grullon is a staff writer. Email him at film@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next