Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 01:20 pm est

NYU holds 181st All University Commencement at Yankee Stadium

Posted on May 22, 2013 | by Hanqing Chen

20130522-095202.jpg

NYU’s 181st commencement is about to begin at Yankee Stadium, where over 14,000 degree candidates and thousands of their friends and family are filing into the stands. The ceremony is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.

Follow WSN on Twitter and Facebook as we bring you the latest from the ceremony.

20130522-103358.jpg

10:20 a.m. – Here is the view from the field as the class of 2013 fills up the stadium.

10:35 a.m. - The university color guard leads the platform party as the school procession begins. Each of NYU’s 18 schools walk along the field, represented by the 2013 class banner bearer and dean as well as 2013 class representatives for degrees and certificates.

11:01 – David W. McLaughlin opens the 2013 commencement ceremony, and the crowd stands the National Anthem, performed by Steinhardt senior Bethany Fagan. Her powerful rendition receives thunderous applause from the stands.

11:17 – President Sexton presents Edith Windsor with the NYU Presidential Service Award. Windsor is an NYU alumna who fought against the Defense of Marriage Act, bringing her case before the Supreme Court.

“As the highest court in the land deliberates your case, United States v. Windsor, you, our beloved graduate, are a moving testament to the power and tenacity of this nation’s evolving search for justice and equality,” President Sexton said.

11:37 - Commencement Speaker David Boies takes the stage.

Speaker David Boies begins his speech with humility, acknowledging that many students will forget what he has said at Yankee Stadium today. Acknowledging that many graduation speeches are littered with platitudes of equality and equal opportunity that are the foundations of the United States, he frames graduates’ journey in terms of his lifelong fight for equality of marriage as a part of history of civil rights in the United States. He begins with the struggles of minorities to Prop 8 and the current battle in the Supreme Court.

He emphasizes that his fight is beyond the “platitudes” that we use on a daily basis.

“The problem is that its too easy to dismiss platitudes,” he said. “A good definition of platitudes is something that is so true and repeated so often that people tend to ignore it. One of the greater platitudes of our country is that everyone is created equal.”

Inviting students to participate in the fight for equality, Boies leaves with this message:

“As everyone knows at the platitude stage, everyone is entitled to equal protection … Someday the United States Supreme Court will recognize it. Hopefully in June, but if not in June, there will come a day. So congratulations and join us in trying to make platitudes real.”

11:45 - President John Sexton takes the stage, applauding students and members of the NYU community. His speech centers around his pride in the NYU student community, and he emphasizes that students are part of the NYU family.

I hope we gave you an education worthy of your talents and even more of your aspirations,” he told graduates. “Congratulations to your and your loved ones from your NYU family, your other family to which you indelibly belong. Hugs to each of you.”

11:55 – NYU Polytechnic Institute President takes the podium.

11: 57 – Student Speaker Chelsea Garbell takes the stage.

Garbell opens address by reflecting on the history that has come to pass in the last four years. She underscores the idea that in the age of Twitter and Instagram, small actions can and have brought about monumental change.

She asks her classmates to be conscious of the impact of their actions.

“Be aware of your actions and have intention as you strive for the lives you envision for yourselves and for others,” she said. “Take a look around at the people in this stadium, at yourselves, and ask, ‘What moments do I want realized? What kind of life and what kind of world do I want to build?’”

In her final words, she introduces “Diamonds,” a video by Clive Davis students.

“Hang on to this moment,” Garbell said. “Mark it as something special. Never forget how it feels right now to be this person, this age, surrounded by these people. Hold that inside of you as you move forward in the world.”

12:35 – Degrees are officially conferred upon all graduates. Congratulations to the class of 2013!

The cast of “The Reality Show: NYU”, a show traditionally performed for freshmen during Welcome Week at the beginning of students’ college careers, take the stage with a nostalgic take on “Learn to Love and Live.”

Thank you for following our coverage of the 2013 all-university commencement. For coverage of individual school commencements, check out our commencement 2013 page.

Correction: a previous version of the article misspelled the commencement speaker’s name as David Boise. In fact, his name is David Boies.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next