Monday, Apr 21, 2014 10:43 am est

Eli Roth discusses work behind, in front of camera for ‘Aftershock’

Posted on May 10, 2013 | by Shawn Flanagan

via wikipedia.org

For those looking for something scarier than the candy-colored world of Baz Luhrmann at the theaters this weekend, the film “Aftershock,” produced by and starring horror icon Eli Roth, may be the answer. In an exclusive interview with WSN, Roth discussed the unique process behind the film.

Set in Chile, “Aftershock” follows a group of travelers — the American “Gringo” (Roth) and his Chilean friends Ariel (Ariel Levy) and Pollo (Nicolás Martínez), as well as European tourists Monica (Andrea Osvárt), Kylie (Lorenza Izzo) and Irina (Natasha Yarovenko) — who must put all their minor problems aside to find out how to survive when a massive earthquake shakes the city and brings chaos and madness.

“In ‘Aftershock,’ we really build up the characters,” Roth said. “But we really wanted to build up the minor problems that seemed hugely important. And then the earthquake happens and nothing matters except surviving. And that’s the point. It takes an event like that to put into perspective all the things we think are such big deals.”

Roth has built a great reputation among horror fans from his films like “Cabin Fever” and the “Hostel” series, but this is his first partnership with director Nicolás López. As Roth has done in previous films, he was not afraid of breaking the conventions and rules of modern cinema, pointing out that if “Aftershock” were a Hollywood movie, the earthquake would have happened 20 minutes into the film. Instead, Roth was more interested in allowing the audience to become familiarized with the characters.

“Every decision that these characters make … I want you to know why,” he explained. “The movie is really about moral choices, and we can break the rules by having characters do things that we understand. But it’s like, ‘Oh God,’ you’re cringing in pain that they’re making that choice, but you get it. You get why they do it. It’s a human choice.”

Roth has been fascinated by the horror genre since a young age. He remembers vomiting after every horror movie he would see growing up. Making these films as an adult is not only meant to confront his fear but also, as Roth explained, to be an expression of mankind’s natural fascination with death.

“One thing I found from a lot of actors is they’re fascinated to see their own death,” Roth explained. “People have come up to me for years and said, ‘I have no interest in being an actor, but I’d love to get killed in one of your movies.’ It’s a very human thing to wonder, what we are going to look like after we’re dead, and that’s why it’s so fun to kill people on film.”

“Aftershock” marks the beginning of a promising partnership between Roth and López. Production of the film went smoothly, and Roth feels honored to have been able to work with the filmmaker.

“I had the time of my life on ‘Aftershock,’” Roth said. “Nico’s so smart. I really think he’s an amazing filmmaker. It’s hard to comprehend. He’s a great example of a filmmaker that never waited for anyone’s permission and just figured it out, and just did it through creativity and hard work.”

Shawn Flanagan is a staff writer. Email him at film@nyunews.com.

Comments

• Justin Shanahan

Loved this movie.

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next