Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 11:48 am est

Fear of word prevents stronger society

Posted on March 28, 2013 | by Ian Mark

The most powerful and offensive word in the English language is nigger. It is so offensive that most people are not supposed to say it when referencing it, but instead are supposed to call it “the n-word.” By attaching this stigma, we enable “nigger” to retain much of its power. If we truly want to progress as a society — to move forward to perhaps one day live in a post-racial society — we must remove this stigma and others like it.

The word “neger” was first documented in America in 1619 to describe African slaves being brought over to work in the Americas. However, it had no negative connotations until the 1900s and was considered the appropriate term for dark-skinned peoples until the mid to late 1800s. The stigma attached to the word grew as it became less acceptable to even say, much less direct it at a person.

In the ’70s and ’80s, “nigger” or “nigga” had an amazing resurgence in usage. The difference was the people using it — the word was predominantly used among young black people. It was rebranded and became a term of endearment at times. This movement reduced the stigma attached to the word and acted as a way to both recognize the history of black people in America and to move past that history. It is now extremely common for black people to refer to one another in this way, perhaps because, as Princeton University professor Cornel West says, “there’s a certain rhythmic seduction to the word. If you speak in a sentence, and you have to say cat, companion or friend, as opposed to nigger, then the rhythmic presentation is off. That rhythmic language is a form of historical memory for black people.”

But this movement did not follow through completely. The stigma remains for anyone who isn’t considered black enough. The O.J. Simpson murder trial brought this taboo to light, as detective Mark Fuhrman was consistently quoted in the media using “the n-word.” The implications of such a decision are obvious. Major media corporations preferred to report the news less accurately rather than risk printing the actual term.

To understand this stigma, we must understand why it exists. Why am I, a white person, expected to say “the n-word”? The most common explanation is that hearing a white person say the actual word brings to mind painful memories for black people, who may have had ancestors who were slaves. However, this explanation and the reasoning behind it strike me as false. If we avoid saying the word out of fear of being offensive, why do we avoid saying the word when there are only white people around, too? The reason we avoid saying the word isn’t because it reminds black people of their ancestors. The reason we avoid saying the word is because of the residual white guilt for what our ancestors did — enslave an entire race on the basis of supposed racial superiority. We seek to deny the notion that slavery happened by refusing to say the word. Avoiding history is an excellent way to someday repeat it. The white guilt that causes this reluctance is also suspect. It is foolish to hold ourselves responsible for the actions of our ancestors — white people today are no more slave masters than black people today are slaves.

This dichotomy between who can and cannot say the word has created a certain reverse racism. Quentin Tarantino has been criticized throughout his career for his use of the word, most recently in the film “Django Unchained,” which is set in the 1800s, when the word was colloquial and the accepted term for black people. His response to such criticism gets to the heart of the matter: “As a writer, I demand the right to write any character in the world that I want … I demand the right to tell the truth … I would not be questioned if I was black and I resent the question because I’m white.” Tarantino asserted that it is not only the fundamental right of the writer, but it is also the fundamental right of being human to tell the truth.

To remove the stigma attached to the word “nigger,” we must be able to say it. When I say we, I mean everyone. I am not advocating for the casual use of the word. I do not want to call my black friends “nigga” no matter how rhythmically seductive it might be. I want to be able to discuss the word without continuously saying the n-word, to sing along with the numerous songs that use the word without worrying who might judge me. The idea that only certain people can say certain words is ridiculous. Samuel L. Jackson commented on the criticism of Tarantino by saying, “Black artists think they are the only ones allowed to use the word. Well, that’s bull.

By never saying the word “nigger,” we allow it to retain power. It is even more hurtful to be called by that name precisely because it is so uncommon to hear a white person say it. Further, by expecting people to use euphemisms like “the n-word,” “n*gg*r” or “n—–,” we are being intellectually dishonest. Such words deny a part of history that has had an undeniable impact on shaping American culture. So get used to hearing nigger. When I pitched this column, multiple people in the room flinched at the word. Giving such power to a random collection of noises is outrageous. We cannot ignore words we don’t like and hope they will go away and no longer be hurtful. To remove the power of the word, we must say it frequently enough so that it is no longer a shock to hear. Once we have a truly collective language then we can truly be a collective society.

Ian Mark is a staff columnist. Email him at opinion@nyunews.com.

Comments

• Alex

Perhaps you should clarify that when you say we should use the word, we should use it without disrespect; there are plenty of white people who still use the word today in a deliberately hateful and evil fashion, intending it to sting and abase those of a different skin color. They are also part of the reason the word retains its “power” over us – they continue to use it in a way that reflects the opinions of 18th and 19th century slave owners.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Maj-Variola/100003091129531 Maj Variola

Alex
    the niggers that whites refer to are not all low-albedo folks; its a reference to a culture, ie a voluntary choice. As such, its not a hateful term, but a value judgement. A sound one.

• Reina Iqbal

No comment on this one…still remember the whole Zimmerman race thing.

• Jada

Using the word nigger as a lifestyle description is idiotic. Then, you’re really damn racist because you’re implying that a word that was used against blacks not only during slavery but much after, as basically just an insult of color! The word nigger comes from nergo. Meaning black. So naturally, if whites used it to insult blacks. It meant that being black was considered a terrible, wretched, unforgivable tragedy! How could you be so stupid to even write this article with the idea that anyone would respect such an uneducated opinion. Sure, you did some research. But obviously you aren’t aware of real world circumstances that prove that blacks are still enslaved. I’m not a victim. I do not feel victimized. But God please don’t be so stupid.

• Jada

And Maj. You’re a racist and I hope your mother isn’t as stupid as you are.

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next