Thursday, Aug 21, 2014 02:19 am est

NYU should trust in Sexton, university progress

Posted on March 13, 2013 | by Sameer Jaywant

Confidence is the belief that one can rely on someone or something. It encapsulates a feeling of trust, and it is generally reserved for the resolute and dedicated individuals in our lives. It implies the possibility of failure as it relies on a certain measure of faith in someone. It is an acknowledgment of the validity of external judgment. And it is, unquestionably, what I have in NYU President John Sexton.

It is difficult to make this case without trivializing the concerns that are currently, and rightfully, the subject of intense debate. At a university of over 50,000 students that has campuses in nearly 15 countries, fractures in progress are inevitable, and a single, unified vision of growth is impossible. The only consensus is that we must grow — not necessarily in terms of square feet or total students, but as a community of individuals with a shared interest: the welfare of NYU.

The process of achieving growth is, and should be, a contentious one. NYU 2031 is not an ideal expansion plan — many individuals stand to lose their homes, and the NYU gentrification of Greenwich Village is certainly unnerving. Most alarming is the undisclosed cost of the expansion and the possibility that it will be paid for by tuition increases — the expenditure concerns are all the more pertinent now given the expected tightening of NYU’s research and financial aid allowances thanks to political ineptitude in Washington over sequestration cuts. But whatever the discontent over the specifics of the 2031 plan, NYU is currently unsustainable in its physical capacity, and throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a shortsighted and petulant pseudo-solution.

But, the nature of our disapproval or approval of many NYU policies derives from our unique positions and experiences during our time here. The opportunity to chair the International Affairs Committee of our Student Senators Council, which deals jointly with student oversight at our away sites and the well-being of our international student population here at Washington Square, has given me substantial insight into the functionality of the global network university. The scale of our international web is astonishing — and its unprecedented success at nearly all levels of implementation is even more incredible. In its entirety, the GNU is self-sustaining and incurs no additional costs beyond what is paid for by tuition and fundraising, with the latter contributing more than $300 million. The system generates a surplus for NYU, which is not pocketed by the university but reinvested in our New York City campus. By no means is the system perfect, and my role is to translate student feedback into tangible improvements by the administration, which has consistently shown the desire to put aside bureaucracy to improve our global sites. It is easy for dissenters to criticize the vague concept of something they know nothing about, but it takes a measured approach and a willingness to examine facts to accurately assess the implications of the GNU.

We are not a perfect institution. We have substantial flaws that must be addressed, including pervasive and unsustainable student debt, funding concerns for our expansion plan, a lack of faculty in the highest echelons of university leadership and a corporate mentality amplified by enormous severance payouts to star officials. But I find no comfort in the absolute lack of outreach to students by the faculty spearheading this vote. All we are witnessing is a self-interested power grab that continues to denigrate and disregard the voice of those the university is built to serve — its students?

We are selling ourselves short if all we do is passively complain, become disillusioned and naively hope our problems will vanish by replacing the visionary who has elevated our university to the incredible level where it currently stands. Be constructive. Speak up — I am confident he will listen.

A version of this article was published in the Wednesday, March 13 print edition. Sameer Jaywant is opinion Editor. Email him at sjaywant@nyunews.com.

Comments

• http://www.facebook.com/events/557619887604134/ Paul Funkhouser

sexton is obviously corrupt, and he has to go. but we gotta think critically about what it means to replace our corporate figurehead with another. what will it take to take corporate influence out of nyu? certainly more than a new talking head.
    we need to stop treating the students and community as cash cows for kickbacks. cut the union busting nonsense, legalize GSOC. make tuition affordable with grants and not loans because debt is chains. cut ties with UAE and so much more. camp out &…

• mastish

This is the most well reasoned statement I have read on the VNC lately. I thank you for the wise analysis of facts. It is sad how many are led to blind criticism by those who operate with a specific personal agenda. NYU is pioneering a transformation in higher education, no surprise the road will be challenging. this shouldn’t make us overlook the incredible vision and commitment President Sexton is putting to better NYU on all fronts.

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next