Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 05:40 am est

Student tennis star creates skin protection supplement

Posted on March 4, 2013 | by Alena Hall

Courtesy of James Dean Scarmozzino

From the moment Gallatin junior James Scarmozzino picked up a tennis racket in his hometown of Woodbury, N.Y., at the age of 10, he knew he wanted to play professionally. However, after spending years in the sweltering sun, he began to develop a small, brown mole on his right hand. Once the precancerous skin cells were removed, Scarmozzino, who goes by James Dean professionally, realized the prevalence of skin cancer and started to find a way to help others battling similar problems.

“I thought, skin cancer affects over two million people a year,” Scarmozzino said. “If I’m only 15 and getting something that could be close to it, this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed in other ways.”

On Monday, Feb. 18, Scarmozzino officially debuted his new natural supplement product, “Sunergetic,” designed to protect skin and maintain energy levels in a new way. Made from natural ingredients, Sunergetic provides the body with antioxidants that fight free radicals, and herbs and extracts that help absorb ultraviolet rays that reach the skin. Other ingredients, such as green tea extract, help those who take it to maintain energy levels without making them feel jittery.

“Science is saying that what you put inside your body is sometimes as effective as what you are putting on it,” Scarmozzino said. “You can apply all the sunscreen you want, but you are not going to be 100 percent protected.”

Scarmozzino developed his ingredient list after reviewing scientific research on sun exposure, skin health and energy. Nutritionists and doctors approved of his ingredient list, and a chemist helped him assign the milligram dosage of each ingredient for the supplement. Sunergetic’s patent is pending.

Dermatologist and Skin Cancer Foundation vice president Elizabeth Hale, M.D., is unfamiliar with Sunergetic’s specific ingredients but acknowledges the sound science behind the product.

“I do agree with the role of antioxidants in combating free radical damage to the skin. We know free radicals can cause DNA mutations that lead to both skin cancers and premature aging of the skin,” Hale said. “I would definitely like to see the specific ingredients and some clinical data before making any major conclusions about this specific product.”

Fordham University junior John Litke tried Sunergetic after seeing a Facebook post from Scarmozz-ino about the new product.

“Recently I was on a golf course in Florida and did not get burned,” Litke said. “Towards the end of my round, I still had plenty of energy, and usually by that point I am pretty exhausted.”

CAS junior and soccer player Serra Tumay opposed taking a supplement like Sunergetic because of her background in nutrition and knowledge of potential side effects from supplements.

“I believe [a well-balanced diet] is the best way to supply your body with energy,” Tumay said. “Although UV rays are harmful, there are beneficial factors of sun exposure, like using it as a source of vitamin D. With the proper real foods and by using sun protection, the same goal will be obtained.”

Sunergetic is available at http://www.sunergeticproducts.com/ and at select doctors’ offices. The supplement costs $39.95 for a 30-day supply of 60 capsules.

A version of this article was published in the Monday, March 4 print edition. Alena Hall is a contributing writer. Email her at features@nyunews.com.

Comments

• http://www.sunergeticproducts.com/ Sharon

I have been taking this product since it came out, the results are amazing!!

• April

I am definitely going to order this & recommend it to the sun worshipers I know. Not only for the benefits from UV exposure, but the all around supplement value.

Great job, and Good Luck James.

• http://www.sunergeticproducts.com James Dean

April,

The website is http://www.sunergeticproducts.com. Check it out. I am sure you will love the product! Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

James Dean

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Sara-Davis/100002098400899 Sara Davis

For external protection I like Sun Putty SPF30. Great protection, 100% natural and my daughter’s and my skin looks great since we’ve been using it. Our skin is sensitive and we have found Sun Putty to be gentle.

Sun Putty seems to be powerful, water-resistant, broad-spectrum EVA/UVB protection that goes-on-clear. They state that it is safe for you and the environment…

Get out there…but stay protected…

Learn more at http://www.sunputty.com

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next