Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 04:55 pm est

U.S. media must address real causes of suicide

Posted on February 21, 2013 | by Nikolas Reda-Castelao

By the end of every 75-minute class, nearly six people in the United States will have committed suicide. Within the same time period, over 120 people will have attempted suicide, the third leading cause of death among people ages 15 to 24. Suicide ranks right behind homicide and unintentional injury. The media tries to blame external factors, like gun violence, in suicide cases such as singer Mindy McCready’s successful attempt or Aaron Swartz’s so-called martyrdom in the face of the Federal Pontius Pilate. However, these factors are merely distractions that mask more serious problems.

The issues stem from cognitive disorders — clinical and manic depression, mood disorders, anxiety disorders and other abnormalities in the chemicals present in the brain. Of all suicides, 90 percent are committed by people with a diagnosed, treatable psychiatric disorder — emphasis on diagnosed and treatable. Most importantly, those with high IQs or creative capabilities are more prone to suffer from such disorders.

There is a taboo surrounding issues of suicide and psychiatric disorders in the United States. It seems the very idea that people kill themselves because of personal problems is not acceptable. Rather, it seems fit to target other, often unrelated, factors as root causes. Take the recent suicide of McCready, for example. Journalists have labeled the tool of her suicide as the cause, saying that guns are related to the nature of suicide in this country. This idea is ridiculous. Guns are not malevolent entities that spur people to take their own lives, but rather weapons mentally ill or depressed people use to kill themselves to ensure a painless ending.

In the case of Swartz, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the federal government are not responsible for the young man’s suicide. The media sensationalizes the role of certain factors, frequently the least significant ones, to fit a current intellectual trend. If more people started dying because of auto-erotic asphyxiation, the nation would start a witch hunt targeted at the pornography industry in a second.

There is little public discussion about the true nature of suicide. People who are depressed often feel the need to repress their melancholy in public to avoid making others feel uncomfortable. They hold themselves accountable for their own actions when they are in a state where they cannot. It is evident in our language: we call psychiatrists “shrinks” and the psychologically ill “crazy” or “deranged.” We refer to depression as being “sad” even though it is not a mood but a mentality that causes complete hopelessness and drives destructive behavior in individuals.

As a nation, we alienate the suicidal and depressed because we refuse to discuss the issue openly and acknowledge the psychologically ill as victims of their disease. It is not guns or the people who blame them but the individual who pulls the trigger. One cannot help but wonder whether a change would occur if we didn’t associate depression with weakness.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, Feb. 21 print edition. Nikolas Reda-Castelao is a contributing columnist. Email him at opinion@nyunews.com.

Comments

• paul dalnoky

God that was dumb.

• Val

Yes, there is social stigma surrounding suicide……just looking at the comments about how “cowardly” or how “selfish” it is or how people who go through with it would do it no matter how much help they get, etc. So much misinformation and ignorance out there. It’s a vicious cycle….and you’re right, it MUST be addressed! When people kill their children before killing themselves people say “why didn’t they just kill themselves?” When they just kill themselves they are labeled…

• Val

I’m not saying that suicide should ever be an option. I speak from the experience of having had a mother take her life at 37 and then pave the road for my brother to do the same at the age of 33. I just know that it’s more complicated than “self centered people who think only of themselves”. There is such a thing as a person feeling inescapable pain and feeling trapped with the only option of death as an escape. Those who enjoy judging people without knowing have their own mental issues.

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next