Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 10:29 am est

New exhibit shows controversial NYC of 1993

Posted on February 14, 2013 | by Jonathan Keshishoglou

Click on the photo for more images from the exhibit.

A step inside a new exhibit at the New Museum will transport viewers back to 1993, an important year that few seem to remember.

“NYC 1993: Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star” opened yesterday, and the exhibit seeks to explore a changing time in New York’s history through an enormous, five-floor show that spans the entire museum. Every piece of art from the 78 artists who contributed was made 20 years ago, and each one was handpicked to demonstrate the shifting values of the final decade of the 20th century.

“In 1993, the first blog was published, and the Internet was one-year-old,” said Massimiliano Gioni, associate director and director of exhibitions of the New Museum. “Palestine and Israel signed a peace treaty that rocked the two nations, and there was a shift from a grittier New York with an underground culture to a merging of the mainstream and underground.”

NYC 1993 makes full use of the evolving spectrum of media available during 1993, from photography to videography to music, to illustrate the social and cultural changes of the period. Almost every floor has a video component accompanying each work of art. One television screen shows Cheryl Donegan’s own video recording of herself drinking and spitting out milk to the tune of Sugar’s “A Good Idea” in a statement about exaggerated sexuality in rock music and MTV. Other videos are much simpler, like the “Drawing Restraint 7” by Matthew Barney, in which a man dressed as a satyr tries to catch his own tail.

“The show’s not focusing on any one big theme,”  said Gary Carrion-Murayari, the show’s curator. “There are many, such as race and gender-politics, pop culture and the ‘slacker aesthetic.’ It isn’t restricted to one particular approach, it’s a snapshot of everything.”

Many pieces deal with controversial themes, and a fair amount use shock value to catch their viewers’ attention. To deal with the censorship of pornographic materials, Cindy Sherman photographed two naked mannequins in vulgar acts as part of her series, “Sex Pictures,” that is visible on the third floor. Not too far away is Marlene McCarthy’s “In Honor of R. Allen Schindler,” a stylized collage of a soldier beating a fellow soldier to death.

“It’s almost unexpectedly grotesque, when I think about the ’90s I don’t think about all this, but I suppose it makes sense,” said CAS freshman Jillian Branchaud.

The exhibit also features tamer pieces, like illustrations taken from the bottom of skateboards and Janine Antoni’s “Like and Lather” that displays busts of women made from chocolate and soap.

“NYC 1993: Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star” is open at the New Museum at 235 Bowery from Feb. 13 through May 26, 2013.

Jonathan Keshishoglu is a staff writer. Email him at features@nyunews.com. 

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next